POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light with negative refractive index Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Light with negative refractive index (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Varala
Subject: Light with negative refractive index
Date: 28 Jun 2008 04:40:01
Message: <web.4865f7c585dff5ef25acb1ab0@news.povray.org>
Dear Sir/Madam

This is R.Varalakshmi and i am doing my year 3 Electrical Engineering at the
National University of Singapore. I am currently working on a research project
under my professor on negative refractive index materials. I have a certain
doubt and don't know anybody else to approach for the same, when by chance i
saw your thread on the net with regard to POV. Sorry for the random mailing but
your help could mean a lot to me.

Could you please tell me if there is a way to create pictures using POV Ray
tracing for light with a negative refractive index. And though it is still not
existent in the real world, my job is to produce the effects which can be seen
by the negative refractive index materials in pictures. I want to know whether
this is possible using POV Raytrcaing and if yes please tell me on how to
implement the idea.

I would be very grateful for any sort of help or advice from you at the
earliest.

Thanks and Regards
R.Varalakshmi

Post a reply to this message

"Varala" <var### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> This is R.Varalakshmi and i am doing my year 3 Electrical Engineering at
> the
> National University of Singapore. I am currently working on a research
> project
> under my professor on negative refractive index materials. I have a
> certain
> doubt and don't know anybody else to approach for the same, when by chance
> saw your thread on the net with regard to POV. Sorry for the random
> mailing but
> your help could mean a lot to me.
>
> Could you please tell me if there is a way to create pictures using POV
> Ray
> tracing for light with a negative refractive index. And though it is still
> not
> existent in the real world, my job is to produce the effects which can be
> seen
> by the negative refractive index materials in pictures. I want to know
> whether
> this is possible using POV Raytrcaing and if yes please tell me on how to
> implement the idea.
>
> I would be very grateful for any sort of help or advice from you at the
> earliest.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> R.Varalakshmi

The IOR setting in POV-Ray does accept negative values. I couldn't tell you
whether it is theoretically optically correct, but it does render something
different from the equivalent positive value.

The following complete POV-Ray scene file renders a transparent sphere and
box on a checkered plane. The IOR is controlled by the clock so that it
passes from 2 to -2 when rendered with animation command-line options such
as +kfi0 +kff21 (or ini file settings of: Initial_Frame=0 Final_Frame=21).

Regards,
Chris B.

// Animation options: +kfi0 +kff21
camera {location <0,3,-5> look_at <-1,1,0>}
light_source {   <100,100 ,-100>, rgb 1}

sphere {<0,0,0>,2
  pigment {rgbt 1}
  interior {ior 2-4*clock}
  // or, if you don't want to animate, use:
  // interior {ior -1.1}
}

box {<-4,0,0>,<-2,2,2>
  pigment {rgbt 1}
  interior {ior 2-4*clock}
}

// A Checkered Plane
plane {y,-3 pigment {checker}}

// A Sky
sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map {
      [ 0.5  color <0.7,0.7,1> ]
      [ 1.0  color <0.2,0.2,1> ]
    }
    scale 0.2
    translate -1
  }
}

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
>> R.Varalakshmi
>>

> The IOR setting in POV-Ray does accept negative values. I couldn't tell you
> whether it is theoretically optically correct, but it does render something
> different from the equivalent positive value.
>
> The following complete POV-Ray scene file renders a transparent sphere and
> box on a checkered plane. The IOR is controlled by the clock so that it
> passes from 2 to -2 when rendered with animation command-line options such
> as +kfi0 +kff21 (or ini file settings of: Initial_Frame=0 Final_Frame=21).
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.
>
> // Animation options: +kfi0 +kff21
> camera {location <0,3,-5> look_at <-1,1,0>}
> light_source {   <100,100 ,-100>, rgb 1}
>
> sphere {<0,0,0>,2
>   pigment {rgbt 1}
>   interior {ior 2-4*clock}
>   // or, if you don't want to animate, use:

May I point you to a paper published by Dolling, Wegener, Linden and
Hormann on 6 March 2006.
http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?id=88325&CFID=29931998&CFTOKEN=78387185
I believe this may help answer your question

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Blue Herring
Date: 30 Jun 2008 08:46:02
Message: <4868d58a$1@news.povray.org>
Varala wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> This is R.Varalakshmi and i am doing my year 3 Electrical Engineering at the
> National University of Singapore. I am currently working on a research project
> under my professor on negative refractive index materials. I have a certain
> doubt and don't know anybody else to approach for the same, when by chance i
> saw your thread on the net with regard to POV. Sorry for the random mailing but
> your help could mean a lot to me.
>
> Could you please tell me if there is a way to create pictures using POV Ray
> tracing for light with a negative refractive index. And though it is still not
> existent in the real world, my job is to produce the effects which can be seen
> by the negative refractive index materials in pictures. I want to know whether
> this is possible using POV Raytrcaing and if yes please tell me on how to
> implement the idea.
>
> I would be very grateful for any sort of help or advice from you at the
> earliest.

Christoph Hormann has some demonstrations of rendering metamaterials
with POV-Ray at http://www.imagico.de/pov/metamaterials.html

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring