POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light with negative refractive index : Re: Light with negative refractive index Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light with negative refractive index
From: Chris B
Date: 28 Jun 2008 05:34:42
Message: <486605b2@news.povray.org>
"Varala" <var### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> This is R.Varalakshmi and i am doing my year 3 Electrical Engineering at
> the
> National University of Singapore. I am currently working on a research
> project
> under my professor on negative refractive index materials. I have a
> certain
> doubt and don't know anybody else to approach for the same, when by chance
> saw your thread on the net with regard to POV. Sorry for the random
> mailing but
> your help could mean a lot to me.
>
> Could you please tell me if there is a way to create pictures using POV
> Ray
> tracing for light with a negative refractive index. And though it is still
> not
> existent in the real world, my job is to produce the effects which can be
> seen
> by the negative refractive index materials in pictures. I want to know
> whether
> this is possible using POV Raytrcaing and if yes please tell me on how to
> implement the idea.
>
> I would be very grateful for any sort of help or advice from you at the
> earliest.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> R.Varalakshmi

The IOR setting in POV-Ray does accept negative values. I couldn't tell you
whether it is theoretically optically correct, but it does render something
different from the equivalent positive value.

The following complete POV-Ray scene file renders a transparent sphere and
box on a checkered plane. The IOR is controlled by the clock so that it
passes from 2 to -2 when rendered with animation command-line options such
as +kfi0 +kff21 (or ini file settings of: Initial_Frame=0 Final_Frame=21).

Regards,
Chris B.

// Animation options: +kfi0 +kff21
camera {location <0,3,-5> look_at <-1,1,0>}
light_source {   <100,100 ,-100>, rgb 1}

sphere {<0,0,0>,2
  pigment {rgbt 1}
  interior {ior 2-4*clock}
  // or, if you don't want to animate, use:
  // interior {ior -1.1}
}

box {<-4,0,0>,<-2,2,2>
  pigment {rgbt 1}