POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : df3 and color-maps Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  df3 and color-maps (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: df3 and color-maps
Date: 28 May 2008 15:14:12
Message: <483daf04$1@news.povray.org>
minzi0815 nous illumina en ce 2008-05-28 02:12 -->
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> minzi0815 <mar### [at] eumetsatint> wrote:
>>> So than means, the 65535 possible values are scaled to 256 colors ?
>>   No, it means that you can only specify up to 256 entries in a color map.
>> Colors are interpolated between these entries and thus the total amount of
>> colors generated is limitless (well, limited by floating point range).
>>
>> --
>>                                                           - Warp
>
> Well, to be honest, I am getting a little cobfused.
> The question for me is the following:
>
> I want to display a df3 - file that holds 16 Bit measuring values that range
> from 0 to 65535. I want povray to display each value in a different color. How
> is that possible to do ? Do I need a color map at all ?

The simplest color_map possible (color_map[0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]) actualy have an
"infinite" number of distinct values. That is, every real values comprised
between 0 and 1. This number is reduced in a computer by the limitation of the
binary floating point encoding, but still largely bigger than 65535.

--
Alain
When confronted by a difficult problem you can solve it more easily by reducing

Post a reply to this message

From: Larry Hudson
Date: 28 May 2008 21:48:14
Message: <483e0b5e$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> minzi0815 nous illumina en ce 2008-05-28 02:12 -->
>
>> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>>>   No, it means that you can only specify up to 256 entries in a color
>>> map.
>>> Colors are interpolated between these entries and thus the total
>>> amount of
>>> colors generated is limitless (well, limited by floating point range).
>>>
>>> --
>>>                                                           - Warp
>>

>> Well, to be honest, I am getting a little cobfused.
>> The question for me is the following:
>>
>> I want to display a df3 - file that holds 16 Bit measuring values that
>> range
>> from 0 to 65535. I want povray to display each value in a different
>> color. How
>> is that possible to do ? Do I need a color map at all ?
>>

> The simplest color_map possible (color_map[0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]) actualy
> have an "infinite" number of distinct values. That is, every real values
> comprised between 0 and 1. This number is reduced in a computer by the
> limitation of the binary floating point encoding, but still largely
> bigger than 65535.

But that would give gray values only.  Going linearly from rgb <1, 1, 1>
to rgb <0, 0, 0> would change the red/green/blue values together
resulting in gray values throughout.  Infinite gradations
(theoretically), but still only shades of gray.  To get all possible
*colors* it would be necessary to change the red/green/blue values
independently, and that's not a linear change.

      -=- Larry -=-

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 29 May 2008 04:43:15
Message: <483e6ca3@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> But that would give gray values only.  Going linearly from rgb <1, 1, 1>
> to rgb <0, 0, 0> would change the red/green/blue values together
> resulting in gray values throughout.  Infinite gradations
> (theoretically), but still only shades of gray.  To get all possible
> *colors* it would be necessary to change the red/green/blue values
> independently, and that's not a linear change.

  The original poster didn't ask for all possible colors, he just asked
for 65536 colors, and 65536 shades of gray (or red, or whatever) is
exactly that, technically speaking.

<nitpicking>
  Besides, 65536 colors are not "all possible colors" (at least not all
possible colors representable with 24-bit rgb).
</nitpicking>

--
                                                          - Warp