POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : df3 and color-maps : Re: df3 and color-maps Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: df3 and color-maps
From: Alain
Date: 28 May 2008 15:14:12
Message: <483daf04$1@news.povray.org>
minzi0815 nous illumina en ce 2008-05-28 02:12 -->
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> minzi0815 <mar### [at] eumetsatint> wrote:
>>> So than means, the 65535 possible values are scaled to 256 colors ?
>>   No, it means that you can only specify up to 256 entries in a color map.
>> Colors are interpolated between these entries and thus the total amount of
>> colors generated is limitless (well, limited by floating point range).
>>
>> --
>>                                                           - Warp
>
> Well, to be honest, I am getting a little cobfused.
> The question for me is the following:
>
> I want to display a df3 - file that holds 16 Bit measuring values that range
> from 0 to 65535. I want povray to display each value in a different color. How
> is that possible to do ? Do I need a color map at all ?

The simplest color_map possible (color_map[0 rgb 1][1 rgb 0]) actualy have an
"infinite" number of distinct values. That is, every real values comprised
between 0 and 1. This number is reduced in a computer by the limitation of the
binary floating point encoding, but still largely bigger than 65535.

--
Alain
When confronted by a difficult problem you can solve it more easily by reducing