POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output filenames Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  output filenames (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: stevenvh
Subject: output filenames
Date: 15 Apr 2008 15:40:00
Message: <web.480504105a5014cb5245d3740@news.povray.org>
I want to create a number of variants of a scene, where each variant is defined
by a number. No problem so far; I can run an animation loop and use the clock
variable as an index to a lookup table. But I also want to use the numbers in
the output filenames. So when I have

#declare VariantIDs = array[5] { 13, 21, 34, 55, 89 }

I would like to name the output files

scene_13.png
scene_21.png
scene_34.png
scene_55.png
scene_89.png

Is this possible? In the documentation I only find the automatic numbering, like

scene_01.png
scene_02.png
scene_03.png
scene_04.png
scene_05.png

Or did I overlook something?
TIA
Steven

Post a reply to this message

> I want to create a number of variants of a scene, where each variant is defined
> by a number. No problem so far; I can run an animation loop and use the clock
> variable as an index to a lookup table. But I also want to use the numbers in
> the output filenames. So when I have
>
> #declare VariantIDs = array[5] { 13, 21, 34, 55, 89 }
>
> I would like to name the output files
>
> scene_13.png
> scene_21.png
> scene_34.png
> scene_55.png
> scene_89.png
>
> Is this possible? In the documentation I only find the automatic numbering, like
>
> scene_01.png
> scene_02.png
> scene_03.png
> scene_04.png
> scene_05.png
>
> Or did I overlook something?
> TIA
> Steven

You can't set the image's names directly from the scene file.
What you can do, is to use an INI file that will call your scene and set the
name of the images, as it was done before the animation feature got the
autonumbering.

--
Alain
'No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'' -- Dr. Who

Post a reply to this message

> You can't set the image's names directly from the scene file.
> What you can do, is to use an INI file that will call your scene and set the
> name of the images, as it was done before the animation feature got the
> autonumbering.

Merci, Alain.
But the next question of course is: how was it done before the animation feature
got the autonumbering? :-)

Post a reply to this message

>> You can't set the image's names directly from the scene file.
>> What you can do, is to use an INI file that will call your scene and set the
>> name of the images, as it was done before the animation feature got the
>> autonumbering.
>>

> Merci, Alain.
> But the next question of course is: how was it done before the animation feature
> got the autonumbering? :-)

I don't have an old enough version to test.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you look at waterfalls, dust,

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 16 Apr 2008 14:07:00
Message: <48064044@news.povray.org>

> But the next question of course is: how was it done before the animation feature
> got the autonumbering? :-)

The animation feature always had autonumbering. Before that, there was
no animation feature.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 18 Apr 2008 12:31:16
Message: <4808ccd4$1@news.povray.org>
en ce 2008/04/16 14:06 :)   ->
> stevenvh escribió:
>> But the next question of course is: how was it done before the
>> animation feature
>> got the autonumbering? :-)
>
> The animation feature always had autonumbering. Before that, there was
> no animation feature.
OK. Before the animation you needed to use a script that did everything the
animation feature does automaticaly now, including the naming.

--
Alain
Presbyterian: This shit was bound to happen.