POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  A new SDL Idea (Message 1 to 10 of 118)
From: Bryan Valencia
Subject: A new SDL Idea
Date: 3 Oct 2007 16:50:30
Message: <47040096$1@news.povray.org>
I've been following the "new language SDL" thread for a while, but I
don't know if this topic has been covered.

Having been a fan of Borland, and now a user of Visual Studio, I would
like to present the notion of using a language-independent framework,
like the .net framework and then document it so well that us users can
write our own front-end languages, a la Visual Basic, C#, J#, ASP.NET, etc.

So there would be the ".POV Framework" and then C#.POV, J#.POV, Visual
POV...

Also, if I want to create a post-processor library, or an animation
utility, or a complicated subroutine that can create a random moon for
example, then the compiled libraries could work with all the
implementations.

Maybe (and this is a big maybe) we could boil down the SDL to a set of
libraries that can be plugged in to Visual Studio, or used with Java or
Perl, etc.

I know this is a lot of work, but it would get the POV team out of the
language biz and let them focus on thing like rendering engines and
speed optimizations.

Sorry if this has been brought up previously, but I missed it if it was.

--
---
Bryan Valencia

- I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.

Post a reply to this message