POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray beta updates Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray beta updates (Message 51 to 59 of 59)
From: Dre
Subject: Re: POV-Ray beta updates
Date: 9 Oct 2007 21:39:40
Message: <470c2d5c@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote in message

>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>>>  Why would copying an .exe file into a directory change any file
>>> associations?
>>
>> It doesn't, I open pov files from explorer by double clicking on them,
>> they then open in the version of pov that is associated with .pov files.
>>
>> If I have 2 versions of pov, i can only set 1 file association.  It means
>> I have to open pov files in a different manner and i dont work like this.
>>

> You can add two associations, one will be the default when
> double-clicking, the other will still show on the context menu.

Yep, but again, problem is I have to remember to right click.  I normally
have so many windows open at the same time and so much stuff running, I dont
want to have to remember "just one more thing".  I work with computers all
day long so its nice to get home to a computer that is setup that I can just
*use*.

The shortcuts/file associations/timeouts are some of the reasons why 3.7b
wont work for me, if there was no time out, the other issues dont exist.

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

> "Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote in message

>>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>>> It doesn't, I open pov files from explorer by double clicking on them,
>>> they then open in the version of pov that is associated with .pov files.
>>>
>>> If I have 2 versions of pov, i can only set 1 file association.  It means
>>> I have to open pov files in a different manner and i dont work like this.
>>>
>> You can add two associations, one will be the default when
>> double-clicking, the other will still show on the context menu.
>
> Yep, but again, problem is I have to remember to right click.  I normally
> have so many windows open at the same time and so much stuff running, I dont
> want to have to remember "just one more thing".  I work with computers all
> day long so its nice to get home to a computer that is setup that I can just
> *use*.
>
> The shortcuts/file associations/timeouts are some of the reasons why 3.7b
> wont work for me, if there was no time out, the other issues dont exist.
>
> Cheers Dre

You want it to *guess* which version you want?

With or without timeout, believe me, you *don't* want to completely
replace 3.6 with 3.7b. You should always have 3.6 handy. Especially if
you want to report bugs; you need to compare how things work in both.

Post a reply to this message

>> "Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote in
>> message news:470c12e8$1@news.povray.org...

>>> You can add two associations, one will be the default when
>>> double-clicking, the other will still show on the context menu.
>>
>> Yep, but again, problem is I have to remember to right click.  I normally
>> have so many windows open at the same time and so much stuff running, I
>> dont want to have to remember "just one more thing".  I work with
>> computers all day long so its nice to get home to a computer that is
>> setup that I can just *use*.
>>
>> The shortcuts/file associations/timeouts are some of the reasons why 3.7b
>> wont work for me, if there was no time out, the other issues dont exist.
>>
>> Cheers Dre
>
> You want it to *guess* which version you want?

Not at all.

> With or without timeout, believe me, you *don't* want to completely
> replace 3.6 with 3.7b. You should always have 3.6 handy. Especially if you
> want to report bugs; you need to compare how things work in both.

Thats fine, but if I totally revert to 3.7 (leaving 3.6 as it is), fix all
my associations etc, so that 3.6 pretty much doesn't exist (even though its
still installed) then when the time runs out, I have to revert it all back
until a new version of 3.7b comes out.  I dont want to have to do this hence
why I made the comment, "remove the time limit and I believe you will get
more testers".  Some might say this is all trivial, but to me, its something
I can do without.  I didn't think my comment would stir up such frenzy!

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message