POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea for an alternate type of focal blur Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  idea for an alternate type of focal blur (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: idea for an alternate type of focal blur
Date: 24 Sep 2007 15:15:00
Message: <web.46f80bca56160c32f16fbbd90@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> >  I'm curious if you had to "cheat"
> > her closer to the camera and scaled down, to get such a nice effect.
>
> That wouldn't be cheating, it would be an accurate reproduction of what the
> scene would be in reality.
>
> Point is: if you design the scene accurately, you'll get realistic results.

True, of course; but the image from cgsphere.com that Bill linked to
(thanks, Bill!) does show that the girl *is* quite small compared to the
brick sphere--that is, smaller than she *appears* to be in Bill's first
image. Nothing wrong with that; it just shows me what I might need to do to
get the result I'm after: positioning and scaling my foreground objects (if
necessary) to produce the desired blurring, while appearing to be in the
'correct' scale, relative to the other scene elements.

KW

Post a reply to this message

Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/09/24 15:11:
> "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
>> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
>>>  I'm curious if you had to "cheat"
>>> her closer to the camera and scaled down, to get such a nice effect.
>> That wouldn't be cheating, it would be an accurate reproduction of what the
>> scene would be in reality.
>>
>> Point is: if you design the scene accurately, you'll get realistic results.
>>

> True, of course; but the image from cgsphere.com that Bill linked to
> (thanks, Bill!) does show that the girl *is* quite small compared to the
> brick sphere--that is, smaller than she *appears* to be in Bill's first
> image. Nothing wrong with that; it just shows me what I might need to do to
> get the result I'm after: positioning and scaling my foreground objects (if
> necessary) to produce the desired blurring, while appearing to be in the
> 'correct' scale, relative to the other scene elements.
>
> KW

The girl is small relative to the sphere. In the CGSphere, the camera is set at
a relatively large distance in front of the sphere. The girl is at about the
same distance from the camera as the sphere.
The the second case, the camera is close to the ground and just behind the girl.
The girl is now very much closer to the camera than the sphere. That point of
view make the girl apears much larger.

--
Alain
To err is human, to forgive is not our policy.