POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Free Vector Editor exports to POV (Message 33 to 42 of 52)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
Date: 21 Apr 2007 16:58:06
Message: <462a7ade@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> Warp  wrote in message <462a569d@news.povray.org>:
> >   But given that the file is in XML format it doesn't make sense that
> > it would make a difference.

> Except if the copy-paste operation is not as neutral as it should.

  How could a copy-paste operation break an XML file? (Assuming, of course,
that *everything* is copied.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2007 17:11:35
Message: <462a7e07@news.povray.org>
William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:
> It wouldn't surprise me if Windows Notepad would decide to screw up XML
> in some way.

  I don't think it does, but notepad sux in many other ways.

  In fact, I hate all text editors which try to be too "smart" and modify
the edited files in ways not expressly requested by the user. The worst
text editors are those where you open a file and immediately save it and
the result is different than the original. Most don't do that, but they
still add unrequested modifications automatically when you edit the file.

  I like emacs because it doesn't modify files in any way, unless
specifically instructed to do so. It will not add extra newlines unless
you tell it to, it will not add or remove tabs/whitespaces unless you
explicitly tell it to, it will not remove nor change any characters in
the file no matter how "undisplayable" they are, unless explicitly
requested. In fact, you can add almost any "undisplayable" character
easily with it, a functionality which most text editors lack. Of course
this makes it more a hacker tool than anything else, but that suits me
just fine. More than just fine.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message