POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV : Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
From: Nicolas George
Date: 22 Apr 2007 15:29:49
Message: <462bb7ad$1@news.povray.org>
Warp  wrote in message <462b9e75@news.povray.org>:
>> The encoding can be wrong.
>   How?

The XML declaration holds an encoding indication. The editor is not supposed
to parse it, therefore it will save the file in whatever encoding it
chooses. If the two encodings are not compatible, it will break. XML files
will often be in UTF-8, and editors will often save in ISO-8859-1 or
CP-1252.

>> The copy operation can insert strange markers (wrap indicators, for example;
>> it seems that it the case here).
>   XML shouldn't break if extra whitespace is added between elements.

"Wrap indicators" are not whitespace. For example, for a long time, I had
Vim configured with "showbreak=>", which means that when a line is too long
to fit on a single terminal line, a blue ">" was displayed at the left of
the second terminal line. It breaks mouse-based copy-paste, because this
blue ">" was copied along with the text.

>> The paste operation can re-wrap or re-indent the lines (which has no
>> consequence on XML validity, but can harm the result if some elements are
>> space-sensitive like the HTML <pre> element).
>   I can't even begin to imagine why an SVG would contain such an element.

That is true for basic SVG, but with SVG+CSS, you can do a lot of things. It
is enough to have "white-space: pre" in the style for some element.