POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I think this is a bug Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  I think this is a bug (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Calvin
Subject: I think this is a bug
Date: 4 Jan 2007 17:15:00
Message: <web.459d7b9e1513509fe637b1f80@news.povray.org>
I figured I would post this in General first, to test the waters.

Povray appears to have a problem with radiosity and negative surface colors.
I have a material which has a solid pigment of {rgb<-1,-1,0>}, and usually
it works quite nicely and produces nice deep blue colors in its
interreflections with other objects. Occasionally, though, I get mysterious
artifacts:
http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01a.jpg

That black shadow that looks like it's being produced by a sphere is in
fact, not the shadow of any object that exists in the scene.

This is exacerbated by the use of reflections. In the following I am
alternating the black spheres with reflective ones. The artifacts should
clearly be incorrect, since the two images have different error_bounds
http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01_05.jpg error_bound 0.5
http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01_02.jpg error_bound 0.2

If I take away the negative color, the problem goes away, but I'd prefer to
not need to do that. I suspect the problem lies with the implementation of
adc_bailout, in that pov sees the net magnitude of the reflected color as
being less than zero, and short circuts to make the resulting color darker
than it would be even otherwise.

Any thoughts or comments?
Can people reproduce this on other architectures?

Here is my source:
http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01.pov

Post a reply to this message

> I figured I would post this in General first, to test the waters.
>
> Povray appears to have a problem with radiosity and negative surface colors.
> I have a material which has a solid pigment of {rgb<-1,-1,0>}, and usually
> it works quite nicely and produces nice deep blue colors in its
> interreflections with other objects. Occasionally, though, I get mysterious
> artifacts:
> http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01a.jpg
>
> That black shadow that looks like it's being produced by a sphere is in
> fact, not the shadow of any object that exists in the scene.
>
> This is exacerbated by the use of reflections. In the following I am
> alternating the black spheres with reflective ones. The artifacts should
> clearly be incorrect, since the two images have different error_bounds
> http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01_05.jpg error_bound 0.5
> http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01_02.jpg error_bound 0.2
>
> If I take away the negative color, the problem goes away, but I'd prefer to
> not need to do that. I suspect the problem lies with the implementation of
> adc_bailout, in that pov sees the net magnitude of the reflected color as
> being less than zero, and short circuts to make the resulting color darker
> than it would be even otherwise.
>
> Any thoughts or comments?
> Can people reproduce this on other architectures?
Other than what?
I tried it on a W2k machine with POV 3.6.
I also get your artifacts. Artifacts are not in the same place
as in your picture. That is probably OK, as every time I render
it, the artifacts are in different places. If I change the
1*<-1,-1,0> to 1+<-1,-1,0> the scene seems to be OK.

> Here is my source:
> http://idt.gatech.edu/~cashmore/pov/debug01.pov

Post a reply to this message

> > Can people reproduce this on other architectures?
> Other than what?
> I tried it on a W2k machine with POV 3.6.
> I also get your artifacts. Artifacts are not in the same place
> as in your picture. That is probably OK, as every time I render
> it, the artifacts are in different places. If I change the
> 1*<-1,-1,0> to 1+<-1,-1,0> the scene seems to be OK.

I'm sorry, I neglected to mention that-
I'm on Windows XP with POV 3.6 as well.

I actually am not getting changes in the artifacts, they remain consistent
for each render. If they are random for you, though, I suspect this might
be genuine buggy behavior.

Post a reply to this message