POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : isosurface & DEM data Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface & DEM data (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: albe99
Subject: isosurface & DEM data
Date: 14 Dec 2006 06:40:01
Message: <web.458137414aeb60c089f8ff7a0@news.povray.org>
Hi to all..
Sorry for my bad english, but I need a code-sample or a tutorial that
describes how POV-Rays isosurface objects can be used to render a landscape
from digital elevation maps (DEM)..
can someone help me?..please?..

thanks,
Alberto

Post a reply to this message

From: Grassblade
Subject: Re: isosurface & DEM data
Date: 14 Dec 2006 15:40:01
Message: <web.4581b5a2c772466125113ed60@news.povray.org>
"albe99" <alb### [at] hotmailit> wrote:
> Hi to all..
> Sorry for my bad english, but I need a code-sample or a tutorial that
> describes how POV-Rays isosurface objects can be used to render a landscape
> from digital elevation maps (DEM)..
> can someone help me?..please?..
>
> thanks,
> Alberto

Well, I don't know for sure how it's done, but I guess it all depends on
what you want exactly: do you want an exact replica of the data? In this
case I would use a mesh rather than an isosurface. I'm sure somebody more
knowledgeable than me can give you a macro that reads the data and outputs
triangles. Otherwise, if you want smooth surfaces that follow the data with
some error (smoothing out the data), you can use isosurfaces: pick a
function shape you fancy, impose boundary conditions if you want to use
splines, find out the parameters in a regression package (Excel can do it
too, although it isn't recommended) and render.

Post a reply to this message