POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Dre
Subject: Re: povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:20:14
Message: <43e2bdde$1@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "Dre" <bla### [at] somewherecom> wrote:
> > "Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> > > If you've been around for previous POV betas (I think I've seen every
> > > one of them since 3.0 in 96), this is quite normal.  Releasing a new
> > > beta compile just because some time has passed isn't necessarily a
good
> > > idea.  Rather, a new beta will be released when significant changes
have
> > > occurred.
> > >
> > > The developers have lives outside of POV-Ray.  If you'd like to pay
one
> > > of them a competitive salary to work full-time on 3.7, I'm sure you'd
be
> > > able to get a new version much sooner :)
> > >
> > > ...Chambers
> >
> > So what exactly is the point of an expiry date then?  If it didn't have
one,
> > no problems!
> >
> > Cheers Dre
>
> Betas are just that, betas for evaluation and bug-fixes.  As bugs are
fixed,
> new betas come out.  At that time, there is no point in having the
previous
> versions still available as they will still have the bugs, hence there is
> an expiry date.  However, because of the timing constraints of the
> programmers, the new beta is not always ready when the old one expires.
> But this shouldn't cause a problem as they are only meant for beta testing
> and not really for regular usage.  If you want to use POV regularly and
not
> for beta testing then use 3.6 and wait for 3.7 to be ready.
>
> -tgq

Hmmmm, I've been using betas for ages, and Pov is the only one I've used
with an expiry.

Doesn't tend to bother me much as I use 3.6 anyway, but I did find it a pain
when it ran out to put eveything back to 3.6...

Re the old versions stil lbeing available, why would you want to d/l an old
version of something when there is a newer one available?!?!?

It all doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

From: Dre
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:20:44
Message: <43e2bdfc@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> So buggy beta copies don't continue to circulate

Fair, but why would you want to d/l an old version of something when there
is a newer one available?

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:54:05
Message: <43e2c5cd$1@news.povray.org>
Dre wrote:
> Fair, but why would you want to d/l an old version of something when there
> is a newer one available?

Because the older one is more suited for the job.  Moray users still use
POV 3.5 because 3.6 doesn't work with it.  I have a low opinion of
people who absolutely must use the absolute latest unstable xyz just
because its newer.  (Particularly when the use is for making something
intended for public distribution)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Dre
Date: 3 Feb 2006 00:03:19
Message: <43e2e417@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
> > Fair, but why would you want to d/l an old version of something when
there
> > is a newer one available?
>
> Because the older one is more suited for the job.  Moray users still use
> POV 3.5 because 3.6 doesn't work with it.  I have a low opinion of
> people who absolutely must use the absolute latest unstable xyz just
> because its newer.  (Particularly when the use is for making something
> intended for public distribution)

Sorry, I was talking about beta versions only above, not full releases...

Cheers Dre

From: Dre
Date: 3 Feb 2006 00:13:15
Message: <43e2e66b$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
> > Fair, but why would you want to d/l an old version of something when
there
> > is a newer one available?
>
> Because the older one is more suited for the job.  Moray users still use
> POV 3.5 because 3.6 doesn't work with it.  I have a low opinion of
> people who absolutely must use the absolute latest unstable xyz just
> because its newer.  (Particularly when the use is for making something
> intended for public distribution)
<snip>

Oh and I guess you now have a low opinion on me as you think I update my
software instantly to the latest (obviously unstable) version, LOL :)

Lighten up a little, I never said I did/was/am, I was mearly after a reason
as to why I had to revert back to POV 3.6 after my beta copy of 3.7 expired
(which I thought was a PITA).

Did *you* upgrade to 3.7b???

Cheers Dre

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Feb 2006 00:59:38
Message: <e8s5u15d09f40sksk4k29n61fcsq2gqmhl@4ax.com>
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:19:50 +1100, "Dre" <bla### [at] somewherecom> wrote:

>Hmmmm, I've been using betas for ages, and Pov is the only one I've used
>with an expiry.

So have we all it seems :-)
Are you a dummy for beta software?
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1699517,00.html

>Doesn't tend to bother me much as I use 3.6 anyway, but I did find it a pain
>when it ran out to put eveything back to 3.6...

What's wrong with having two, or more versions installed. I have Ver
3.5 for using with Moray and Ver 3.6 for playing with SDL

>Re the old versions stil lbeing available, why would you want to d/l an old
>version of something when there is a newer one available?!?!?
>
>It all doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Features change and you might want an older version for older files or
features that have been lost. That's probably why you can download
Pov-Ray from Ver 3.0 from here.
ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Old-Versions/

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 3 Feb 2006 04:10:33
Message: <43e31e09$1@news.povray.org>
Dre wrote:
> Did *you* upgrade to 3.7b???

Nope, I'm a Moray user, still on POV 3.5 exclusively XD

From: Chambers
Date: 3 Feb 2006 13:11:41
Message: <43e39cdd$1@news.povray.org>
Dre wrote:
> So what exactly is the point of an expiry date then?  If it didn't have one,
> no problems!
>
> Cheers Dre

The problem is, beta software has bugs.  If there were no expiration
date, this buggy software could float around for years giving people
errors and generating false bug reports (it's happened before).  The
beta expiration is to protect both the development team (from trying to
fix already repaired bugs), and the end user (from using buggy software).

Remember, POV-Ray v3.6 is still fully functional.  There's nothing
preventing you from using it instead.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Ricoware
Date: 4 Feb 2006 09:40:37
Message: <Xns97604E179CFE4noreplyricoswebcom@203.29.75.35>
I think the only real issue with an expired beta is that once the beta
expires, all beta testing comes to a screaching halt outside the POV team.

Would it be possible to simply add another month to the expiration date,
recompile, and release the same beta for another month?

Rico

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 5 Feb 2006 05:17:08
Message: <43e5d0a4@news.povray.org>
"Ricoware" <not### [at] realcom> wrote in message
> I think the only real issue with an expired beta is that once the beta
> expires, all beta testing comes to a screaching halt outside the POV team.

But it also gives the developers time to fix existing reported bugs, which
ensures that beta testers can focus on finding new bugs rather than old bugs
that have already been fixed.  There are also several large known issues that
have to be worked on, so I imagine it's advantageous to occasionally have
periods where the developers can have a break from fielding questions like "has
this bug already been fixed?" and simply work on those issues that are already
known, or that require significant reworking of the internals to address.  This
is particularly the case with this version due to the massive amount of work to
make it multi-threaded.

> Would it be possible to simply add another month to the expiration date,
> recompile, and release the same beta for another month?

It would be possible but it would also be pretty pointless.  Besides, a new
progressed beta will be out shortly.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au