POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 : Re: povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01
From: Dre
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:20:14
Message: <43e2bdde$1@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "Dre" <bla### [at] somewherecom> wrote:
> > "Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> > > If you've been around for previous POV betas (I think I've seen every
> > > one of them since 3.0 in 96), this is quite normal.  Releasing a new
> > > beta compile just because some time has passed isn't necessarily a
good
> > > idea.  Rather, a new beta will be released when significant changes
have
> > > occurred.
> > >
> > > The developers have lives outside of POV-Ray.  If you'd like to pay
one
> > > of them a competitive salary to work full-time on 3.7, I'm sure you'd
be
> > > able to get a new version much sooner :)
> > >
> > > ...Chambers
> >
> > So what exactly is the point of an expiry date then?  If it didn't have
one,
> > no problems!
> >
> > Cheers Dre
>
> Betas are just that, betas for evaluation and bug-fixes.  As bugs are
fixed,
> new betas come out.  At that time, there is no point in having the
previous
> versions still available as they will still have the bugs, hence there is
> an expiry date.  However, because of the timing constraints of the
> programmers, the new beta is not always ready when the old one expires.
> But this shouldn't cause a problem as they are only meant for beta testing
> and not really for regular usage.  If you want to use POV regularly and
not
> for beta testing then use 3.6 and wait for 3.7 to be ready.
>
> -tgq

Hmmmm, I've been using betas for ages, and Pov is the only one I've used
with an expiry.

Doesn't tend to bother me much as I use 3.6 anyway, but I did find it a pain
when it ran out to put eveything back to 3.6...

Re the old versions stil lbeing available, why would you want to d/l an old
version of something when there is a newer one available?!?!?

It all doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Cheers Dre