POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I set bounding threshold to 0 ??? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Can I set bounding threshold to 0 ??? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mike E
Subject: Can I set bounding threshold to 0 ???
Date: 4 Dec 2005 20:10:00
Message: <web.439392c2e60c664743902a2f0@news.povray.org>
I've noticed that when I use +MB0 the bounding threshold is still set to 1.
Is it possible to set it to zero? Reason is that I have an animation with no
objects in the 1st frame. Seems that POV doesn't switch bounding on in any
of the subsequent frames, causing it to render much slower.
Of course I can fudge it by placing an unseen object in the 1st frame, but
this is psychologically disconcerting.

Thanks
M.E.

(using POV3.6 WinXP)

Post a reply to this message

> Reason is that I have an animation with no
> objects in the 1st frame. Seems that POV doesn't switch bounding on in any
> of the subsequent frames, causing it to render much slower.

  That doesn't sound like a desirable nor intended behaviour. It might
be a bug worth reporting.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>Reason is that I have an animation with no
>>objects in the 1st frame. Seems that POV doesn't switch bounding on in any
>>of the subsequent frames, causing it to render much slower.
 >
>   That doesn't sound like a desirable nor intended behaviour. It might
> be a bug worth reporting.

While not nice, this is indeed intended behavior in POV-Ray 3.6.x and
earlier due to setup work being done once.  The solution is to have at least
one object in the first frame.

This no longer is an issue in POV-Ray 3.7 (beta).

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> >>Reason is that I have an animation with no
> >>objects in the 1st frame. Seems that POV doesn't switch bounding on in any
> >>of the subsequent frames, causing it to render much slower.
> >
> >   That doesn't sound like a desirable nor intended behaviour. It might
> > be a bug worth reporting.
>
> While not nice, this is indeed intended behavior in POV-Ray 3.6.x and
> earlier due to setup work being done once.  The solution is to have at least
> one object in the first frame.
>
> This no longer is an issue in POV-Ray 3.7 (beta).
>
>  Thorsten

OK, thanks guys. Looking forward to POV 3.7

M.E.