POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help!how to render a bunch of pov files from Command_Line Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  help!how to render a bunch of pov files from Command_Line (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: billjackson@21cn com
Subject: help!how to render a bunch of pov files from Command_Line
Date: 2 Dec 2005 03:10:01
Message: <web.4390003e38aaddf990bdcc190@news.povray.org>
I want to render a bunch of pov files from the command line under linux
enviorment to make a animation.attached below is my command:
povray +I/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov
+O/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPng/*.png  +FT +W160 +H200
but it is reported,Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could
not find file '/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov',
so what is the correct syntax?how to render?
thanks very much!

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render a bunch of pov files from the command line under linux
> enviorment to make a animation.attached below is my command:
> povray +I/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov
> +O/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPng/*.png  +FT +W160 +H200
> but it is reported,Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could
> not find file '/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov',
> so what is the correct syntax?how to render?

1) wrong group
2) this won't work even if POV-Ray supported wildcard arguments (*.png
do not exist).
3) the way to do this is with a loop:

for FILE in *.pov ; do
   FILE_BASE=`basename $FILE .pov`
   povray -i$FILE -o$FILE_BASE.png
done

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)

this is the first time I login in the comunity
thank you very much,Christoph
eckel

> bil### [at] 21cncom wrote:
> > I want to render a bunch of pov files from the command line under linux
> > enviorment to make a animation.attached below is my command:
> > povray +I/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov
> > +O/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPng/*.png  +FT +W160 +H200
> > but it is reported,Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could
> > not find file '/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov',
> > so what is the correct syntax?how to render?
>
> 1) wrong group
> 2) this won't work even if POV-Ray supported wildcard arguments (*.png
> do not exist).
> 3) the way to do this is with a loop:
>
> for FILE in *.pov ; do
>    FILE_BASE=`basename $FILE .pov`
>    povray -i$FILE -o$FILE_BASE.png
> done
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Landscape of the week:
> http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)
> MegaPOV with mechanics simulation: http://megapov.inetart.net/

Post a reply to this message

> this is the first time I login in the comunity
> thank you very much,Christoph
> eckel

just for clarity, the correct group would have been povray.unix

welcome to the newsgroup!

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render a bunch of pov files from the command line under linux
> enviorment to make a animation.attached below is my command:
> povray +I/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov
> +O/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPng/*.png  +FT +W160 +H200
> but it is reported,Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could
> not find file '/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov',
> so what is the correct syntax?how to render?
> thanks very much!

make a shell script to call povray for each file maybe, something like
this (untested):

  #!/bin/bash
  for x in *.pov
  do
    povray -i$x -d +ft -w160 -h200 -p
  done

btw, 160 by 200 would make a portrait (taller than it is wide) pic.
You intend that?

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with

Post a reply to this message

povray <pov### [at] almostbestwebnet> wrote:
> bil### [at] 21cncom wrote:
> > I want to render a bunch of pov files from the command line under linux
> > enviorment to make a animation.attached below is my command:
> > povray +I/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov
> > +O/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPng/*.png  +FT +W160 +H200
> > but it is reported,Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could
> > not find file '/home/jwlee/workFolder/dstPov/*.pov',
> > so what is the correct syntax?how to render?
> > thanks very much!
> >

> make a shell script to call povray for each file maybe, something like
> this (untested):
>
>   #!/bin/bash
>   for x in *.pov
>   do
>     povray -i$x -d +ft -w160 -h200 -p
>   done
>

> btw, 160 by 200 would make a portrait (taller than it is wide) pic.
> You intend that?
>
> --
> to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
> dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with
> mandatory payment for continued usage. I spit on your grave.

Post a reply to this message

>>this is the first time I login in the comunity
>>thank you very much,Christoph
>>eckel
>>

> just for clarity, the correct group would have been povray.unix
>
> welcome to the newsgroup!

OMG - I never noticed that there was a povray.unix group.
Thanks for the tip.  :D