POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plant System Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Plant System (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Gena
Subject: Re: Plant System
Date: 24 Nov 2005 15:30:01
Message: <web.438622a04cd1f08312c655070@news.povray.org>
> This is a fallacy, to link a new feature dynamically to the program
> won't give you any technical advantage.  And whatever API you are
> talking about this is no different when implementing a new feature in
> POV-Ray than as a separate module.

If you don't mind let's stop this branch of discussion because it's
too global question and doesn't fit to our subject :)

> - to be able to make the plant generation interact with the rest of the
> scene.
> - to be able to use other POV-Ray features in the plant generation process.

Could you clarify?

> Thinking a bit about it a well designed modular plant generator might be
> possible to work both as a POV-Ray patch (offering the above advantages)
> and outside (without those options).  This would probably not make the
> implementation easier but it would at least force a clean design. ;-)

I prefer the latter more because I still don't see (maybe after your
clarifications) the advantages of having it inside except the need to
parse mesh file.

> This is not made impossible by a rule based plant generator.  The rules
> just have to force such constraints.  In fact i think rules are the only
> feasible possibility for geometry control with complex plants.

Maybe I'm just not aware of such rule based systems :(
Probably there is a need to define what we mean saying -
rule-based system. Is Tom-Tree or any other POV-Ray tree generator
a rule-based system? When you specify a set of properties for the
system do you specify the rules or not? :)

Gena.

Post a reply to this message

>>- to be able to make the plant generation interact with the rest of the
>>scene.
>>- to be able to use other POV-Ray features in the plant generation process.
>

> Could you clarify?

With interaction i mean interaction with the scene geometry - a tree
being limited by a house, a plant growing on a wall etc.

POV-Ray features that can be used could for example be the use of
patterns to control leaf properties.

> Maybe I'm just not aware of such rule based systems :(
> Probably there is a need to define what we mean saying -
> rule-based system. Is Tom-Tree or any other POV-Ray tree generator
> a rule-based system? When you specify a set of properties for the
> system do you specify the rules or not? :)

I don't know much about the Tomtree inner workings but I think all SDL
based systems available are rule based with a fixed set of rules with
various parameters that can be set.

Rule based simply means that the plant is generated using a set of
recursive drawing rules.  Of course any mesh could theoretically be
translated back into a set of mesh generation rules.  So it only makes
sense to speak of a rule based plant generator if at least some of the
rules are generic, meaning they are used multiple times in the tree
generation process.  For example you could have one rule that generates
all first level branches of a tree (which might contain random elements
so not all branches are identical).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)