POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texture, pigment and colors Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Texture, pigment and colors (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Shirim9
Subject: Texture, pigment and colors
Date: 4 Jul 2005 01:00:00
Message: <web.42c8c20357be834b714b3ccd0@news.povray.org>
Hello All,

I am quite new to PovRay but has started doing some stuffs using it.
However, i always spend 80% of my time choosing the right
texture/pigment/color and etc and spend only 20% of the time doing the
actual modelling. Am i the only one with this behaviour

Does anyone has any programs or tools in mind that can allow one to
graphically choose the texture/pigment/color... I came across PovColor
recently, but seems to be restricted to colors only? Correct me if i am
wrong. I was looking for tools that allows one to explore things like
waves, bumps, reflection, and etc.

Thanks alot

Post a reply to this message

"Shirim9" <ngk### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Hello All,
>
> I am quite new to PovRay but has started doing some stuffs using it.
> However, i always spend 80% of my time choosing the right
> texture/pigment/color and etc and spend only 20% of the time doing the
> actual modelling. Am i the only one with this behaviour
>
> Does anyone has any programs or tools in mind that can allow one to
> graphically choose the texture/pigment/color... I came across PovColor
> recently, but seems to be restricted to colors only? Correct me if i am
> wrong. I was looking for tools that allows one to explore things like
> waves, bumps, reflection, and etc.
>
> Thanks alot

I know what you mean. It takes time, but it is worthwhile because you get
experience that way. Which makes things easier afterwards. Personally, I use
Moray quite often to experiment with different textures or for creating new
ones.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 4 Jul 2005 04:11:57
Message: <$JB8NJAw8OyCFwFH@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Shirim9 who wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am quite new to PovRay but has started doing some stuffs using it.
>However, i always spend 80% of my time choosing the right
>texture/pigment/color and etc and spend only 20% of the time doing the
>actual modelling. Am i the only one with this behaviour
>
>Does anyone has any programs or tools in mind that can allow one to
>graphically choose the texture/pigment/color... I came across PovColor
>recently, but seems to be restricted to colors only? Correct me if i am
>wrong. I was looking for tools that allows one to explore things like
>waves, bumps, reflection, and etc.

There used to be a nice programme called Textureview that would read
through all the .pov and .inc files on your hard disc, capture the
source of all the materials, textures, pigments and colours; render
small standard samples of each, and catalogue them.

<http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/index.html>

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work with versions of POV above
3.1

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Jul 2005 09:27:36
Message: <42c93948$1@news.povray.org>
Shirim9 wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am quite new to PovRay but has started doing some stuffs using it.
> However, i always spend 80% of my time choosing the right
> texture/pigment/color and etc and spend only 20% of the time doing the
> actual modelling. Am i the only one with this behaviour
>
> Does anyone has any programs or tools in mind that can allow one to
> graphically choose the texture/pigment/color... I came across PovColor
> recently, but seems to be restricted to colors only? Correct me if i am
> wrong. I was looking for tools that allows one to explore things like
> waves, bumps, reflection, and etc.

80% seems like a good number.
It indicates to me that you are taking good care getting the
texture right.  Much more than I did starting out.

I do not know of any tools like you describe but I wonder how useful
they can really be.  It seems what you think you want is for something
to automate the random trial and error.  What you really need to do is
refine your process away from being so random. No tools can provide this
sort of AI because there is simply no one solution to a given problem.
The wood pattern makes great wood textures.  In the right circumstance,
granite makes an even better one.  Gaining this kind of knowledge
requires a two pronged attack.

One prong is to study the available information from tutorials,
examples, and pre-written code (such as in the isowood includes) to
master the known and common textures like metal, water, wood, glass,
etc.  From this, ironically, you will learn that the texture variables
do not act alone but in concert with the lighting and surrounding
environment to achieve a particular sense of material.

The other prong is to take some time to do controlled test renders. Do
all the different patterns, and explore how they are modified by wave
forms, pigment_maps, extreme scaling, and turbulence.  You must also
learn the basic ways of combining patterns, either through nesting in
pigment_maps, averaging them, or mathematically by converting them to
functions. You must also use contrrolled tests to explore how the finish
parameters work, particularily in conjuction with different lighting
techniques and environments.

I have been using POV since the late 90's and I have gotten to the point
to where I rarely if ever approach an new texturing problem directly in
the scene.  I usually begin with a separate test shape in a simple
scene, and work up the texture there before applying it in the real
scene.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 4 Jul 2005 09:41:42
Message: <42c93c96$1@news.povray.org>
Shirim9 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-07-04 00:58:
> Hello All,
>
> I am quite new to PovRay but has started doing some stuffs using it.
> However, i always spend 80% of my time choosing the right
> texture/pigment/color and etc and spend only 20% of the time doing the
> actual modelling. Am i the only one with this behaviour
>
> Does anyone has any programs or tools in mind that can allow one to
> graphically choose the texture/pigment/color... I came across PovColor
> recently, but seems to be restricted to colors only? Correct me if i am
> wrong. I was looking for tools that allows one to explore things like
> waves, bumps, reflection, and etc.
>
> Thanks alot

Look at the portfolio scenes. It generate HTML mages showing samples of all textures,
metals,
glasses and colours from the include files. Just render all the animations, then you
can browse the
samples in your web browser.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 4 Jul 2005 09:42:20
Message: <g5fic1pb2ilbfncpbiploprpppglu9kcp5@4ax.com>
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:27:27 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
wrote:

>80% seems like a good number.
>It indicates to me that you are taking good care getting the
>texture right.  Much more than I did starting out.

Good advice, it should be in the "Hints and Tips"

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Shirim9
Date: 4 Jul 2005 23:50:01
Message: <web.42ca0251e2dabd59714b3ccd0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

> 80% seems like a good number.
> It indicates to me that you are taking good care getting the
> texture right.  Much more than I did starting out.
>

> I have been using POV since the late 90's and I have gotten to the point
> to where I rarely if ever approach an new texturing problem directly in
> the scene.  I usually begin with a separate test shape in a simple
> scene, and work up the texture there before applying it in the real
> scene.

Thanks alot for the advice and encouragement from you guys! Thought i was
the only one whom spend the bulk of the time finding/experimenting with
textures. I will definitely try out your methods. Thanks again!