POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More than 4gig of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  More than 4gig of memory? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Becraft, Robert
Subject: Re: More than 4gig of memory?
Date: 6 Nov 2004 10:00:00
Message: <web.418ce5e9ff2aadb2501f356c0@news.povray.org>
"Zesty" <tac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I was on the povcomp website looking (okay, drooling) at the grand prize and
> at the bottom of the description, it mentions that it can be used to render
> scenes that would be "impossible with only 4 gig of memory (paraphrased)."
>
> I admit to being very much a novice with Povray, but what scenes take more
> than 4 gig of memory? Has anyone worked on such things, and are they in the
> hall of fame? :)
>
> Just curious,
>
> Zesty

See: http://www.angelfire.com/md2/castlewrks/40/index40.htm

Creating complex scenes with POV requires lots of memory.  The more objects
you have, the more memory is required.  This site is how I got around the
memory requirements to generate a scene with millions of objects in it.
With 4GIG of memory, it may be possible to create this same scene without
using the techniques I used in creating the original image.

More memory also allows for highly complex scenes where you want to create a
scene where the main objects are composed of high numbers of smaller
objects  (TREES, GRASS for example).  When a yard is a big green square
(box{<-20,0,-20><20,.1,20> texture{Green}}, it may look appropriate from a
camera view far away.  As soon as you zoom in close, you have to start
adding in the grass details to achieve a realistic look.

Any advanced POVer knows that to achieve results on a complex scene, you
need raw cpu power, but even more, MEMORY is KING.

Regards,
Robert J Becraft

Post a reply to this message