POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More than 4gig of memory? : Re: More than 4gig of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More than 4gig of memory?
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 9 Nov 2004 03:14:12
Message: <20041109081411.17296235@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> > Assuming you use geometric fur. If you treat fur not as objects but
> > as a volumetric thing, you can do it with O(1) memory usage.
>
> Depends on the way you do the volumetrics. You could do it with
> constant memory storage, procedurally based on the object data.
Yes, which is why I used the word "can".

> I haven't looked at your patch yet...have you done any work with
> volumetric long hair? I've achieved some very nice effects with
There's not much to see yet: it is still in the early stages of being
written.
The aim is to be able to cope with most lengths of hair that people
might want to use. If I have time I will implement several fur-drawing
methods and allow the user to pick one.

> obvious problems with reflected or refracted rays. I've been thinking
> about various ways to integrate it into a raytracing engine, including
Perhaps something along the lines of Lengyel et al. (Real-Time Fur over
Arbitrary Surfaces, Proceedings of the 2001 symposium on Interactive 3D
graphics) would help. I thought this was a pretty good paper. Although
it is targetted to scanline rendering, you *could* raytrace it, and I'm
sure you could adapt the method to suit line hair.

Daniel

--
A church is more than just timber and stone   .oO( surreal.istic.org )
And freedom is a dark road when you're walking it alone   -Paul Simon,