POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating a text object from a variable... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Creating a text object from a variable... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: dwmitch
Subject: Creating a text object from a variable...
Date: 20 Aug 2003 01:00:01
Message: <web.3f42fe6a489b556e39b4d5c90@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to make a grid system to help with placement (which will be
commented out for the final renderings, of course) but I have no idea how
to do the numbers without having to do them all by hand.

I thought there would be a way to get it to print out the value of the Count
variable, but that's not turning out too well.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to make a grid system to help with placement (which will be
> commented out for the final renderings, of course) but I have no idea how
> to do the numbers without having to do them all by hand.
>
> I thought there would be a way to get it to print out the value of the Count
> variable, but that's not turning out too well.

Str() should do it. See documentation, 6.1.7.1.

--
Kaveh

Post a reply to this message

I've tried that, but I keep getting an error message. I don't have easy
access to the program now, but something to do with numbers expected or
something like that.

Kaveh wrote:
>"dwmitch" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make a grid system to help with placement (which will be
>> commented out for the final renderings, of course) but I have no idea how
>> to do the numbers without having to do them all by hand.
>>
>> I thought there would be a way to get it to print out the value of the Count
>> variable, but that's not turning out too well.
>
>Str() should do it. See documentation, 6.1.7.1.
>
>Kaveh

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried that, but I keep getting an error message. I don't have easy
> access to the program now, but something to do with numbers expected or
> something like that.
>
> Kaveh wrote:
> >
> >Str() should do it. See documentation, 6.1.7.1.

Try something like:

#local IterateX=4/3; // 1.333333

text {
 ttf "arial.ttf"

// variable identifier, minimum length, decimal places
 str(IterateX,0,0),
 0,0 // depth, offset

 pigment {rgb 1}
}

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried that, but I keep getting an error message. I don't have easy
> access to the program now, but something to do with numbers expected or
> something like that.

  A short code demonstrating the error you are getting would be very
helpful.