POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image browsers Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  image browsers (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jim
Subject: image browsers
Date: 9 Jan 2003 11:10:11
Message: <web.3e1d9e507d32871a2403859f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

   Recently I've discovered that the two image browsers I use in conjunction
with graphics work (Irfanview, Xnview) do not seem to follow image format
protocols exactly. This results in unrecognized image files, distorted
images, and incorrect data in the "image information" function.
   Most notably, the number of grays in a 16-bit png, pgm or other format,
is reported as 255 or 156. Some image displayed correctly in one browser
are distorted in another.
   Does anyone know of a software program which is known for its accuracy
in recognizing, displaying, and reporting of image data? And that covers a
wide range of formats?

                                      Thanks,
                                       Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Thu,  9 Jan 2003 11:07:45 EST, "Jim" <jul### [at] preferredcom> wrote:
>    Recently I've discovered that the two image browsers I use in conjunction
> with graphics work (Irfanview, Xnview) do not seem to follow image format
> protocols exactly. This results in unrecognized image files, distorted
> images, and incorrect data in the "image information" function.
>    Most notably, the number of grays in a 16-bit png, pgm or other format,
> is reported as 255 or 156. Some image displayed correctly in one browser
> are distorted in another.

have you helped its authors to make it better ? have you reported it ? what
did they say ?

>    Does anyone know of a software program which is known for its accuracy
> in recognizing, displaying, and reporting of image data? And that covers a
> wide range of formats?

I use Irfanview but I'm not advanced image manipulator.

ABX

Post a reply to this message