POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : macros returning values Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  macros returning values (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Ernst Fritsch
Subject: macros returning values
Date: 6 Sep 2002 12:05:21
Message: <web.3d78d1281394686cdf77d9a70@news.povray.org>

I sometimes use macros to do some calculations and in the end I get a
value (float, vector, whatever). POV 3.1 had the need to put a ";" at the
end of every #local or #declare directive with floats or vectors but there
it just produced a warning and since I ran POV with warning console off I
never thought much about it any more.
Now it seems to be a hard error and I stumbled over a funny behaviour.
Parsing
of a scene stopped because I had to put a ";" at the end of a directive that
looked like this:

#local value = macro()

I tried

#local value = macro();

function but I guess you know what I mean).

Now I have a problem when I need the same macro in something like this:

translate <macro(), value, value>

Now I can put variable declarations into those parts as a workaround but
what I would like to know is:
Is it a bug or a feature?

Post a reply to this message

> of a scene stopped because I had to put a ";" at the end of a directive that
> looked like this:
>
> #local value = macro()
>
> I tried
>
> #local value = macro();
>

> function but I guess you know what I mean).

You will have to post the code you are using, this is not a general
problem, things like:

#macro XX(test)
  test
#end