POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition (Message 31 to 34 of 34)
From: Dan P
Subject: Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
Date: 5 Apr 2004 23:54:37
Message: <407229fd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

<snip />

>   If they allow post-processing then it's not a rendering competition
> anymore. It's a computer graphics competition.
>   I don't think that was the original goal of the IRTC.

I agree with this -- allowing too much post-processing will diminish the
desire to be more clever with ray-tracers.

--
Respectfully,
Dan P

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan P
Date: 6 Apr 2004 00:00:08
Message: <40722b48$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

<snip />

> "Paint programs may be used for the creation of image maps and the like,
> but may not be used to alter the rendered image."
>
>   Your principle would mean that you can't use a painting program to
> make textures by hand.
>   What you are saying is that you must make the image completely
> algorithmically and that hand-drawing is not acceptable. This is
> not the IRTC. This is something different.

Right-on -- by it's very name it is a Ray-Tracing competition. For
example, if a person can correct colors in Photoshop, it means that they
are not competent enough to do it in the ray-tracer. If they have to
rescale to get good anti-aliasing, it also means they don't know how to
get good results from the ray-tracer. It isn't a Photoshop/GIMP/Whatever
competition. Take it from a guy who /isn't/ competent enough to enter
the IRTC yet, but wants to -- don't lower the bar on me! :-)

--
Respectfully,
Dan P

Post a reply to this message