POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wiki: Requires registration before changes Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  wiki: Requires registration before changes (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Neil Kolban
Subject: wiki: Requires registration before changes
Date: 1 Feb 2005 17:44:38
Message: <42000656$1@news.povray.org>
Folks,
There is a discussion on our Wiki re: requiring registration before allowing
changes to be made to the POV-Ray wiki.  We are getting a spate of "spam"
and "vandals" and, if our wiki continues to grow, it is going to become an
increasing pain to keep fixing.

Tom,
Is this even a possibility based on the technology of the Wiki software and
server?

Community,
What say you assuming it is possible?

Neil

Post a reply to this message

> There is a discussion on our Wiki re: requiring registration before allowing
> changes to be made to the POV-Ray wiki.  We are getting a spate of "spam"
> and "vandals" and, if our wiki continues to grow, it is going to become an
> increasing pain to keep fixing.
>
> Tom,
> Is this even a possibility based on the technology of the Wiki software and
> server?
>
> Community,
> What say you assuming it is possible?
>
> Neil

Doesn't seem too onerous to me.  typical for our time.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Re: Requires registration before changes
Date: 1 Feb 2005 18:33:08
Message: <420011b4$1@news.povray.org>
"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> wrote in message
> Folks,
> There is a discussion on our Wiki re: requiring registration before
> allowing changes to be made to the POV-Ray wiki.  We are getting a spate
> of "spam" and "vandals" and, if our wiki continues to grow, it is going to
> become an increasing pain to keep fixing.
>
> Tom,
> Is this even a possibility based on the technology of the Wiki software
> and server?
>
> Community,
> What say you assuming it is possible?

While I've only made one small change on the site so far, I believe that
registration is a reasonable precaution.  While it may be possible that some
would decide not to post anything if they were forced to register, they're
already logged by their IP's.

I still plan to upload some of my objects.  I just haven't gotten around to
it yet.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 2 Feb 2005 03:11:26
Message: <42008b2e$1@news.povray.org>
IMHO a forced user registration is the only way to go. Yesterday I fixed
two things mixed up by vandals, and while I was fixing the second, that
unbelievably stupid guy f*cked up the first thing I already fixed again.
It's simply annoying and it takes time from me which I ranter spent on
improving the content of the wiki.

So please, if it's possible, force user registration. If it's not
possible at all (technically), I'd even suggest using a Wiki-software
which allows us to do so.

Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 2 Feb 2005 05:56:35
Message: <4200b1e3$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker wrote:

> So please, if it's possible, force user registration. If it's not
> possible at all (technically), I'd even suggest using a Wiki-software
> which allows us to do so.
>

> Florian

I will work on this.  I also will ban some IP addresses as well. It
should be fairly straightforward.

Post a reply to this message

From: Maurice
Date: 2 Feb 2005 13:10:52
Message: <420117ac@news.povray.org>
Neil Kolban wrote:

> Community,
> What say you assuming it is possible?

I'm in favour of a vandal-repelling wiki. Using user-registration with
email (opt-in) confirmation and password protected logins to allow edits
gets my vote.
How does the Wiki of all Wiki's handle this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Why_create_an_account

--
Maurice

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Feb 2005 03:29:45
Message: <42033279@news.povray.org>
"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> schreef in bericht
> Folks,
> There is a discussion on our Wiki re: requiring registration before
allowing
> changes to be made to the POV-Ray wiki.  We are getting a spate of "spam"
> and "vandals" and, if our wiki continues to grow, it is going to become an
> increasing pain to keep fixing.

A vandal-repelling wiki is the best option I believe. Registration should be
compulsory.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Neil Kolban
Date: 8 Feb 2005 08:50:50
Message: <4208c3ba@news.povray.org>
It looks like we are still "under attack".  This time it is getting a little
more malicious.  Someone is deleting images from the wiki.  Luckily, they
hadn't been deleted (yet), but it is only a matter of time.

Anything we can do to help Tom?  If needed I can give you time (and if
needed a little monies)....

Neil

"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] impnospamorg> wrote in message
> Florian Brucker wrote:
>>
>> So please, if it's possible, force user registration. If it's not
>> possible at all (technically), I'd even suggest using a Wiki-software
>> which allows us to do so.
>>

>> Florian
>
> I will work on this.  I also will ban some IP addresses as well. It should
> be fairly straightforward.

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 8 Feb 2005 12:41:10
Message: <Xns95F7BE154C55Bseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:4208c3ba@news.povray.org Neil Kolban wrote:

> It looks like we are still "under attack".  This time it is getting a
> little more malicious.  Someone is deleting images from the wiki.
> Luckily, they hadn't been deleted (yet), but it is only a matter of
> time.

Sometimes I have the feeling that the things that happen to images are a
bug in the wikiware as they started happening right after the wiki was put
up and its location was not yet known on the various searchengines.

Loggin in with the current wikiware does not seem to be possible, it's a
rather old and unsopported version. Development was stopped in 2002, but
in 2004 somebody picked it up again. The current versions options can be
found at http://www.openwiki.info/ow.asp?OpenwikiVersusOpenwiki2004 It
seems to have some spam plug-in.
Another wikiware, loaded with features is MoinMoin.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 8 Feb 2005 15:30:24
Message: <42092160$1@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:
> Loggin in with the current wikiware does not seem to be possible, it's a
> rather old and unsopported version. Development was stopped in 2002, but
> in 2004 somebody picked it up again. The current versions options can be
> found at http://www.openwiki.info/ow.asp?OpenwikiVersusOpenwiki2004 It
> seems to have some spam plug-in.
> Another wikiware, loaded with features is MoinMoin.
>
> Ingo

I have added a password to the edit feature.  It is "povray".  This
should cut down on a good bit of the spam, until the next version of
OpenWiki reaches a stable release.