POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request - density file Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request - density file (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Rune
Subject: Feature request - density file
Date: 5 Aug 2000 05:14:30
Message: <398bdaf6@news.povray.org>
I really would like to be able to use an image as a pattern without having
to create a df3 file first. Something like:

pigment {density_file tga "filename.tga" [interpolate Type]
[PIGMENT_MODIFIERS...] }

From the POV-Ray documentation:
"The syntax provides for the possibility of implementing other formats in
the future."

I hope other formats will be implemented then.

Until then, is there a program that can convert an image (tga, png, or
something) into a df3? I know of Df3Maker, but that's not what I need here.

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org

Post a reply to this message

>Until then, is there a program that can convert an image (tga, png, or
>something) into a df3? I know of Df3Maker, but that's not what I need
>here.

TGA2DF3 in:

> I really would like to be able to use an image as a pattern without
> having to create a df3 file first. Something like:
>
> pigment {density_file tga "filename.tga" [interpolate Type]
> [PIGMENT_MODIFIERS...] }
>
> From the POV-Ray documentation:
> "The syntax provides for the possibility of implementing other formats in
> the future."
>
> I hope other formats will be implemented then.

You can use an image as a pattern already, in MegaPOV. There are at
least 3 ways: image_pattern, pigment_pattern with an image_map pigment,
pigment function pattern with an image_map...

I think it would be more useful to allow a "stack" image or a group of
images to be used directly. Movie formats would also make good
additions. Like this:
density_file {tga list N
    "filename1.tga",
    "filename2.tga",
    "filename3.tga",
    "filenameN.tga"
    [interpolate Type]
}

density_file {qt_moov|mpeg|avi "MovieFile.mov"
    [interpolate Type]
}

Also, it might be nice to have movie formats as ordinary image types...
you could specify the frame number or time(with 1 being the last frame,
and 0 being the first frame). It would be an easy way to animate
image_maps.

image_map {qt_moov "MyMovie.mov" time 0.7*clock | frame int(15*clock)...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 11:41:14 -0500, Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom>
wrote:

>Also, it might be nice to have movie formats as ordinary image types...

How about supporting different codecs on different platforms?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> You can use an image as a pattern already, in MegaPOV. There are at
> least 3 ways: image_pattern, pigment_pattern with an image_map pigment,
> pigment function pattern with an image_map...

Ah yes, image_pattern was what I needed. I had forgot about that one...

However, I still think it is a bit redundant to have two different syntax
that could do basically the same things.