POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dropping items in a bowl (Snack Mix) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Dropping items in a bowl (Snack Mix) (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Flu
Subject: Dropping items in a bowl (Snack Mix)
Date: 30 Mar 2003 22:08:18
Message: <3e87b122@news.povray.org>
I posted a picture in images of a bowl of leftover snack mix. It's still a
WIP, but I'm having fun. The original concept was to FILL the bowl with a
"home-tossed" snack mix. However, I ended up placing each "item" by hand
becuase I could not find anything in POV that would allow "dropping" items
into a bowl with collision decisions. I'm still a POV purist at this point
and don't know many add-ins or third party software. I assume there is
something that will allow me to fill this bowl realistically. Is that true?

--
-Flu

"Imagination is the foundation of Reality" - Gallagher

Post a reply to this message

> I posted a picture in images of a bowl of leftover snack mix. It's still a
> WIP, but I'm having fun. The original concept was to FILL the bowl with a
> "home-tossed" snack mix. However, I ended up placing each "item" by hand
> becuase I could not find anything in POV that would allow "dropping" items
> into a bowl with collision decisions. I'm still a POV purist at this point
> and don't know many add-ins or third party software. I assume there is
> something that will allow me to fill this bowl realistically. Is that
true?

> --
> -Flu
>
> "Imagination is the foundation of Reality" - Gallagher

assuming you are using 3.5, you should look into using trace(). i always
heard so much about it but never actually tried using it until last night.
It works nicely for finding the place where a vector intersects an object.
then you can use the returned vector to translate your object.

ross.

Post a reply to this message

> assuming you are using 3.5, you should look into using trace(). i always
> heard so much about it but never actually tried using it until last night.
> It works nicely for finding the place where a vector intersects an object.
> then you can use the returned vector to translate your object.

That's good for positioning against a single target object but how do you
test against multiple objects as each one is is postioned into the container,
especially considering that each object is shaped differently?

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>I posted a picture in images of a bowl of leftover snack mix. It's still a
>WIP, but I'm having fun. The original concept was to FILL the bowl with a
>"home-tossed" snack mix. However, I ended up placing each "item" by hand
>becuase I could not find anything in POV that would allow "dropping" items
>into a bowl with collision decisions. I'm still a POV purist at this point
>and don't know many add-ins or third party software. I assume there is
>something that will allow me to fill this bowl realistically. Is that true?

It might be worth looking at the code in the example scenes
advanced\blocks folder.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

I'm not sure how much that would be against the
purist's convention, but Christoph Hormann's
Mechsim-Patch might be useful for that. He
began with using functions and calculating everything
via POV SDL, but then referred to patching, because
SDL is waaaaay slower than an actual program.
So its not totally vs the POV purist concept if
you use his patch...

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde