POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG2000 (Message 11 to 20 of 231)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: JPEG2000
Date: 7 Mar 2004 12:01:06
Message: <404b5552@news.povray.org>
Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> I believe it is not, because AFAIK it is not free (you have to pay to
> get the specification), and there may be patent issues.
> IMO that disqualifies it as an internet file format.

  Do you seriously think JPEG is completely free of patents?

From: laurent artaud[AT]free fr
Date: 7 Mar 2004 12:08:05
Message: <404b56f5$1@news.povray.org>
> Any comments?

I am, personally, against this format for some reasons:

1) I'm using Linux and I don't know how to display JPEG2000. None of the
three major programs (XV, Image Magick, Gimp-1.2.5) can open or save it.

2) For posting on news groups, you don't need a perfect display quality
and most of the time, a jpeg with max quality is enough. And when it is
not, PNG can be used. I know that the files are bigger, but at least,
this format is vastly implemented.

3) I'm asking this: What use is the 16 bits color depth if the
compression is not lossless. 16 bits color depth is only useful for
storage or use as master image before post processing. In this case the
compression must be lossless. As POV export to TIFF and PNG, use one of
those two!

Now, in one year or two, when (if) JPEG2000 takes jpeg's place and is as
widely spread, it will be another thing. But for the time, as more that
half of the users can't display it, using it for an other thing that
your personal use or between your friends (the ones that you KNOW can
display it) will only create the kind of reaction you get with your post.

Regards.

Post a reply to this message