POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 7 Mar 2004 12:47:56
Message: <404b604c@news.povray.org>
IMBJR wrote:
> Anyone here willing to discuss the JPEG2000 format and its use in
> these groups?

I also think that JPEG2000 should not be used in these groups until
there are newsreaders that have more or less integrated support for the
format. You can call it lazyness, I don't care, but the usage of an
external program for image viewing in these groups is very inconvenient,
awkward and slow - compared to inline viewing of JPEG images. At least
OE and Thunderbird don't support it - I'm not even sure if JPEG2000
licence permits a (free) plugin for Mozilla/Thunderbird (anyone know?).
I found no information that Opera or Forte Agent would have the support.
There are of course zillion other readers on both Win and other
platforms but the above are the more common ones. But if and when the
support becomes common I favor the usage of JPEG2000 also in these groups.

And _even_ if the decoder did automatically dither (I don't know if they
usually do) the 16-bit image to reduce banding it would still be of
little advantage when the majority of images posted in new.povray are so
small the the banding is usually not even visible. And sometimes a
dithered image looks even worse than the one with slight banding. But of
course, Jpeg2000 has other merits more important than being 16-bit.

Severi S.