POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Out of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Out of memory? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Uplah
Subject: Out of memory?
Date: 24 Oct 2004 06:35:00
Message: <web.417b843d992fb15717968a7d0@news.povray.org>
Hello all, again

After fixing the last problem of mine, I've now got another. I'm trying to
render a protein molecule at high resolution, but it runs out of memory. I
was wondering if this memory refers to just RAM or does it also include
swap space?

I am using Windows2003 on a PC with 1GB RAM and 3.5GB free for my work
partition (the .pov file) and 11GB for my programs partition (POV-ray
rogram), but I do have other drives with a lot more free space... Is there
a way of assigning more memory to POV-ray?

Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Thanks in advance!

Uplah

Post a reply to this message

> After fixing the last problem of mine, I've now got another. I'm trying to
> render a protein molecule at high resolution, but it runs out of memory. I
> was wondering if this memory refers to just RAM or does it also include
> swap space?
>
> I am using Windows2003 on a PC with 1GB RAM and 3.5GB free for my work
> partition (the .pov file) and 11GB for my programs partition (POV-ray
> rogram), but I do have other drives with a lot more free space... Is there
> a way of assigning more memory to POV-ray?

If POV-Ray reports it runs out of memory (usually via 'Cannot allocate
xx bytes for yy...') that means the OS is not able to provide POV-Ray
with sufficient memory.  POV-Ray does not care if this is virtual or
physical memory.  If this only occurs in large size renders you should
of course try to render without display.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message