POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Out of memory? : Re: Out of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Out of memory?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Oct 2004 09:10:15
Message: <417ba9b7@news.povray.org>

web.417b843d992fb15717968a7d0@news.povray.org...
> Hello all, again
>
> After fixing the last problem of mine, I've now got another. I'm trying to
> render a protein molecule at high resolution, but it runs out of memory.

I don't know VMD but exporters are sometimes not optimal. For instance, it
could be that every primitive gets its own texture statement. With hundreds
of thousands of atoms, this alone could waste a lot of RAM. Having the
primitives grouped in several union{} and the textures applied to each group
would reduce the memory use.

For instance, the scene below uses 688 Mb when the texture is attached to
each sphere and 208 Mb when the texture is applied to the group.

union{
    #declare i=0;
        #while (i<1000000)
        sphere{x*i*2,1