POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: was wondering ...new povray 3.5 (sorry if off-topic) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: was wondering ...new povray 3.5 (sorry if off-topic) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: was wondering ...new povray 3.5 (sorry if off-topic)
Date: 18 Oct 2000 21:21:46
Message: <chrishuff-CAF989.20243218102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ee4a91$1@news.povray.org>, "Johnny Smith"
<joh### [at] homecom> wrote:

>     Wasn't real sure where to direct this question...

This newsgroup is devoted to images...povray.general would have been a
better choice. In fact, I am forwarding this to povray.general before it
starts a huge thread...

>     On te official Povray page...it mentions "enhancements" forthcoming
> with te new version (3.5)  On of them is "parallel lights"
> Can anyone describe what that is exactly?
> Another mentioned is "light groups" ???

If you have used MegaPOV, these should be familiar.
The "parallel lights" feature makes the rays of light parallel, so
shadows don't get larger with distance. Kind of like an orthographic
camera, but with light rays.

The "light groups" feature lets you control which lights interact with
which objects. You can have one group of lights that illuminates a
scene, and another light that only influences a single object.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> If you have used MegaPOV, these should be familiar.
> The "parallel lights" feature makes the rays of light parallel, so
> shadows don't get larger with distance. Kind of like an orthographic
> camera, but with light rays.

Does this mean that all rays from the light source come from the same
direction?

--
Bye
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

> Does this mean that all rays from the light source come from the same
> direction?

All light rays have the same orientation.
But this might have been what you meant.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

>  > Does this mean that all rays from the light source come from the same
> > direction?
> All light rays have the same orientation.
> But this might have been what you meant.
Yep
I thinks so.
The light rays all come from infinity & have the same direction vector
but different initial points.
The light rays from point sources have different direction vectors but
the same initial point.
According to the position of the surface.
Right?
--
Bye
Pabs