POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Breton Slivka
Subject: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation
Date: 27 Jul 2003 19:58:19
Message: <Xns93C5B757F4075ZenPsychoyahoocom@204.213.191.226>
Most of us are aware of the phenomenon when it comes to bezier patches, and
programs like spatch, which produce 3 point patches.

That is, they always have a wrinkle in one corner, because it's actually
two corners scrunched together.

Well, The situation need not be the case!

As I understand, internally, bezier patches are converted by triangles by
simply taking grid UV samples from the bicubic patch function.

suppose, the UV samples were altered, so that instead of taking a 13 by 13
grid of samples, or 17 by 17 grid of samples as is the case now, the
algorithem could detect when two points touch, and if that is the case,
start at the edge where the two points touch, For example, if edge*1 is
actually a point, start with one sample in V=0.5 when U=0, then two samples
at V=0 and V=1 when U=1/16, then 3 samples at V=0,0.5 and 1 when U=2/16
etc.... until U=16..

In the case of a 3 point patch, this should result in no wrinkles, as in
this diagram I've prepared http://zenpsycho.com/wrinkle.gif

Perhaps this could either be implemented as a patch in povray itself, or as
a feature of Jpatch, the promising new patch modeller written in java, 3
point patches could simply be exported as a triangle mesh, using my UV
sampling scheme.

Discontinuities at the edges shouldn't be more of a problem than usual,
since each edge will have the same amount of samples as connecting 4 point
patches.

I'd try and implement this stuff myself, but I'm afraid I'm not smart
enough or have the time, but I figured that there should be a solution to
this problem that I should share.

anyways, thoughts? questions?

Post a reply to this message