POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation : Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation
From: sascha
Date: 29 Jul 2003 06:04:37
Message: <3f2646b5$1@news.povray.org>
>http://zhengjj.freeyellow.com/html/publications.html
 >"Control point surfaces over non-four-sided surfaces"

This is really interesting, I was looking for such a paper for weeks,
thanks Rune!

The cubic version (degree 3) of both, 3- and 5-sided patches should
smoothly connect to regular 4-sided cubic bezier patches (as supported
by POV) - I'll try to implement those into JPatch.

It would be interesting if it is possible to subdivide these patches
into 3 or 5 4-sided patches respectively without loosing continuity, as
described here

http://jpatch.sourceforge.net/developer/hash_complete/hash.html

under "5-Point Patches". This is beyond my math skills, maybe someone
here can help?

If splitting the 3- and 5-sided patches into smaller 4-sided patches is
possible the modeler could export bezier-patches only (no triangels) and
thus leave the triangulation to the renderer (which would result in
smaller files and better quality because the detail level can be set at
render time).

Thanks,
-Sascha