POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem: Bad code causes access violation exception Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Problem: Bad code causes access violation exception (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Problem: Bad code causes access violation exception
Date: 24 Jan 2003 11:24:33
Message: <Xns930DB1A9241CEtorolavk@204.213.191.226>
This (bad) code;

#declare AA = array[1] { x }
#declare AA = #declare AA[0] = y;
#declare AA = #declare AA[0] = z;

plane { y, 0 }

- results in this error message:

"The POV-Ray core rendering code caused an access violation exception."

- when I run it in POV-Ray for Windows v3.5

POV-Ray is not shut down after this error
message (and is able to render other scenes
correctly).

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour ?

My PC runs Win98 SE and has a 166MHz MMX
Pentium processor with 96MB of RAM.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

On 24 Jan 2003 11:24:33 -0500, Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:
> #declare AA = array[1] { x }
> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = y;
> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = z;
>
> plane { y, 0 }
>
> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour ?

I can confirm but it is what is called 'justice for wrong syntax' ;-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On 24 Jan 2003 11:24:33 -0500, Tor Olav Kristensen
> <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> #declare AA = array[1] { x }
>> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = y;
>> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = z;
>>
>> plane { y, 0 }
>>
>> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour ?
>
> I can confirm but it is what is called 'justice for wrong syntax'
> ;-)
>
> ABX

;)

Thank you.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226:

> This (bad) code;
>

> #declare AA = array[1] { x }
> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = y;
> #declare AA = #declare AA[0] = z;
>
> plane { y, 0 }
>

> - results in this error message:
>
> "The POV-Ray core rendering code caused an access violation exception."
>
> - when I run it in POV-Ray for Windows v3.5
>
> POV-Ray is not shut down after this error
> message (and is able to render other scenes
> correctly).
>

> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour ?

I had hoped that this could be tested on
a MAC and a Linux machine too.

Further testing shows that this code:

#declare AA = array[1]
#declare AA = #declare AA = y;
#declare AA = #declare AA = z;

sphere { 0*y, 0 }

- leads to POV-Ray giving this error
message in the Messages window:

"Parse Error: Attempt to free NULL pointer
(File: ..\..\source\parse.cpp Line: 8222)."

I wonder if this is the same bug, or if
this one is somehow triggered by the zero
radius sphere. When I change the radius to
1 I get the same "Access violation" error
as with the first script I listed.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

> I had hoped that this could be tested on
> a MAC and a Linux machine too.

Confirmed on Debian Linux; kernel 2.4.18; Duron800MHz/256MB. POV crashes
with a segmentation fault. With a zero-radius sphere, gives the "attempt to
free a null pointer" error and segfaults.

Post a reply to this message

>> I had hoped that this could be tested on
>> a MAC and a Linux machine too.
>
>Confirmed on Debian Linux; kernel 2.4.18; Duron800MHz/256MB. POV crashes
>with a segmentation fault. With a zero-radius sphere, gives the "attempt to
>free a null pointer" error and segfaults.

Thank you Johannes.

Tor Olav