POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Forest Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Forest (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Tom A
Subject: Forest
Date: 11 Mar 2005 12:12:50
Message: <4231d192$1@news.povray.org>
I'd like to put a forest in the background of an animation.  The camera
won't get close to any of those trees (I'm trying to get Arbora(sp?) for
some closer trees), and wondering if anyone's solved this problem
before.  Any suggestions?  Since the "park" area is just a plane, for
the scenes from very high up I was thinking of putting a second plane
about 10 meters above the other one with clear areas and tiny green
spots to sort of represent the trees.  (Haven't tried this yet.)

But anyway - any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom A.

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to put a forest in the background of an animation.  The camera
> won't get close to any of those trees (I'm trying to get Arbora(sp?) for
> some closer trees), and wondering if anyone's solved this problem
> before.  Any suggestions?  Since the "park" area is just a plane, for
> the scenes from very high up I was thinking of putting a second plane
> about 10 meters above the other one with clear areas and tiny green
> spots to sort of represent the trees.  (Haven't tried this yet.)
>
> But anyway - any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom A.
How about using an image/photo as the background?

--
Maurice

http://get-me.to/Hendrix

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Mar 2005 01:54:15
Message: <HJGy9AAXG+MCFwyS@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Tom A. who wrote:
>I'd like to put a forest in the background of an animation.  The camera
>won't get close to any of those trees (I'm trying to get Arbora(sp?) for
>some closer trees), and wondering if anyone's solved this problem
>before.  Any suggestions?  Since the "park" area is just a plane, for
>the scenes from very high up I was thinking of putting a second plane
>about 10 meters above the other one with clear areas and tiny green
>spots to sort of represent the trees.  (Haven't tried this yet.)

Paul T Dawson once wrote a macro for creating very efficient trees from
meshes. It's a lot faster, but considerably less sophisticated, than
things like POVtree.

You can create a small number of different trees, then plant lots of
copies of them with different scale and rotation to produce variety.
This runs surprisingly fast for a few thousand trees.

For efficient animation, you could a modify the meshtree code so that
that it writes the mesh to a file, then read the mesh from the file in
each frame.

The old website where Paul originally posted the macro is long gone, and
Google can't seem to find any new locations. If you want to give it a
try I could email you a copy.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom A
Date: 14 Mar 2005 13:38:05
Message: <4235da0d$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:

> Wasn't it Tom A. who wrote:
>
>>I'd like to put a forest in the background of an animation.  The camera
>>won't get close to any of those trees (I'm trying to get Arbora(sp?) for
>>some closer trees), and wondering if anyone's solved this problem
>>before.  Any suggestions?  Since the "park" area is just a plane, for
>>the scenes from very high up I was thinking of putting a second plane
>>about 10 meters above the other one with clear areas and tiny green
>>spots to sort of represent the trees.  (Haven't tried this yet.)
>

> Paul T Dawson once wrote a macro for creating very efficient trees from
> meshes. It's a lot faster, but considerably less sophisticated, than
> things like POVtree.
>
> You can create a small number of different trees, then plant lots of
> copies of them with different scale and rotation to produce variety.
> This runs surprisingly fast for a few thousand trees.
>
> For efficient animation, you could a modify the meshtree code so that
> that it writes the mesh to a file, then read the mesh from the file in
> each frame.
>
> The old website where Paul originally posted the macro is long gone, and
> Google can't seem to find any new locations. If you want to give it a
> try I could email you a copy.

Sure, that'd be great.

I tried creating a simple tree of just a sphere and a trunk, and put a
hundred thousand of them around my city.  From 2 to 3 km away it gave an
interesting hint of texture, but the 40 minutes it took to run makes it
unusable for my animation.  I was able to use the "leaf" pattern on the
park, and that looks OK from the 2km distant camera, but the next scene
is from the city, so I'd like to see the macro.

Thanks,

Tom A.