POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request: don't recalculate pixels (and possible AA change) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request: don't recalculate pixels (and possible AA change) (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Feature request: don't recalculate pixels (and possible AA change)
Date: 28 Aug 2002 14:46:36
Message: <3d6d1a8c@news.povray.org>
I know the standard answer to this sort of thing is "code it yourself",
but since I can't do that, I might as well get the idea out...

A post on p.b.i reminded me of something that's been bugging me for a
while: when using mosaic rendering, each successive pass recalculates
every pixel. Wouldn't it be a great deal faster to save the data and
only calculate color information for new pixels? Granted, this wouldn't
work with antialiasing, but I would think that for un-AA'd test renders
(which should ideally be as fast as possible, right?) this would be a
huge improvement; every rendering pass after the first one would be
twice as fast!

While I'm at it.. does POV-Ray really compare rendered pixels to
determine if AA needs to be performed? If so, how does it compare a
given pixel to an unrendered one that's on its right or bottom? And if
you're comparing rendered pixels, would it be any slower to render an
un-AA'd image first, then perform a separate AA pass with that data? If
not, why not rework the AA code, essentially extending the "mosaic
rendering" concept to the subpixel level? Would this be a bitch to
implement?

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

> huge improvement; every rendering pass after the first one would be
> twice as fast!

I think this should only be 33% as fast if I understand it.  For each new
pass you would calculate 3 new pixels + reuse one old one for every square
of 4 pixels.   4/3=1.33

-tgq

Post a reply to this message