POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images
Date: 8 Jul 2000 22:50:00
Message: <3967E726.A6FF7E8F@pacbell.net>
Glenn Greenway wrote:

> Thanks again for your input,
>
> However, I've tried Photoshop and interpolate options to no avail.  Perhaps
> I'm missing something substantial but even my height fields look banded, as
> do my isosurfaces.  What I really want to do is sketch out my image map in
> Photoshop then use it do displace isosurfaces or height fields:
> unfortunately the rendered images show considerable banding.
>
> Any other thoughts,
>
> Glenn

A round about method :)

The HF program Leveller has some neat tools for working on 16 bit
greyscale images. Unfortunately it will only accept 24 bit .tga
images as input. You can convert your 8 bit grey to 24 bit tga,
import into Leveller, apply a wide variety of various filters to
it, and then export it to 16 bit grey for your final work. A bit
of a round trip but possible.

Leveller - http://www.daylongraphics.com/

>However, I've tried Photoshop and interpolate options to no avail.  Perhaps
>I'm missing something substantial but even my height fields look banded, as
>do my isosurfaces.  What I really want to do is sketch out my image map in
>Photoshop then use it do displace isosurfaces or height fields:
>unfortunately the rendered images show considerable banding.

HFLab (or whatever it is called now) can work with 16 bit PNG and TGA
images.  It is available for DOS and (i think) Linux and Windows.

Mark

Post a reply to this message