POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images : Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:42:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing 8 bit greyscale images
From: Ken
Date: 8 Jul 2000 22:50:00
Message: <3967E726.A6FF7E8F@pacbell.net>
Glenn Greenway wrote:

> Thanks again for your input,
>
> However, I've tried Photoshop and interpolate options to no avail.  Perhaps
> I'm missing something substantial but even my height fields look banded, as
> do my isosurfaces.  What I really want to do is sketch out my image map in
> Photoshop then use it do displace isosurfaces or height fields:
> unfortunately the rendered images show considerable banding.
>
> Any other thoughts,
>
> Glenn

A round about method :)

The HF program Leveller has some neat tools for working on 16 bit
greyscale images. Unfortunately it will only accept 24 bit .tga
images as input. You can convert your 8 bit grey to 24 bit tga,
import into Leveller, apply a wide variety of various filters to
it, and then export it to 16 bit grey for your final work. A bit
of a round trip but possible.

Leveller - http://www.daylongraphics.com/