POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non arbitrary POV units Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Non arbitrary POV units (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: PoD
Subject: Non arbitrary POV units
Date: 30 Mar 1998 14:18:38
Message: <351FF00E.146E@merlin.net.au>
Horror, I've discovered that POV's units of measurement aren't
completely arbitrary, at least not if you're using pattern normals.

Try rendering this code with various values for Scale.
I was making a scene with the ubiquitous stone columns using centimetres
as my units, and then when it came to adding the normals to the columns,
the normals didn't show up.
I had to go through the whole scene and scale it to metres to get the
normals to work right :(

Hmm.. maybe in the next release this will be fixed ( please :) )

< ------- Cut here ------ >
// Non arbitrary POV units :(

#declare Scale = 1 // Set this to various values

camera
{
	up y
	right 4/3*x
	location <0,0, -10>*Scale
	look_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source
{
	<300,500,-600>*Scale
	rgb 1
}

cylinder
{
	-y*2,y*2,2
	pigment{rgb 1}
	normal{ radial .5 sine_wave frequency 12 }
	scale Scale
}
< ------- Cut here ------ >

Well cheerio for now,
	PoD.

Post a reply to this message

Sorry, but I'm not sure of this, but, does this have something to do with
scalling the normal amount?  I can't remember if this is effected...

--
Lance Birch
Remove the smiley to e-mail.

Post a reply to this message

> Sorry, but I'm not sure of this, but, does this have something to do with
> scalling the normal amount?  I can't remember if this is effected...
>
> --
> Lance Birch
> Remove the smiley to e-mail.
> http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/ambient/lance

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, tried that but surfaces with large normal values don't seem to
render too well.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> > Sorry, but I'm not sure of this, but, does this have something to do with
> > scalling the normal amount?  I can't remember if this is effected...
> [...]
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yeah, tried that but surfaces with large normal values don't seem to
> render too well.

     Scale the normal, ie:

        normal{
          radial .5