POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 01:04:18 EDT (-0400)
  Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block?
Date: 17 Jan 2024 03:29:27
Message: <65a78fe7$1@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know why the global 'radiosity { importance <float> }'
setting ended up in the default{} block rather than in 'global_settings{
radiosity {} }' block along with the other global radiosity settings(a)?

I'm likely going to dump the 'default{}' block altogether in my yuqk
fork(b). Not much in the way of doing it - except, there is this global,
radiosity, importance option sitting in there. It seems out of place to
me and I don't immediately see a reason for the set up in the internal
code...

Am I missing reason(s) it made sense for this importance option alone of
the global radiosity settings to be in the default{} block?

Thanks.

Bill P.

(a) - Or, as one of the effective ini / flag radiosity globals?

(b) - There are too many side-effects to having 'major version defaults'
which are not in fact fixed version defaults.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2024-01-17 à 03:29, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> Does anyone know why the global 'radiosity { importance <float> }'
> setting ended up in the default{} block rather than in 'global_settings{
> radiosity {} }' block along with the other global radiosity settings(a)?
>
> I'm likely going to dump the 'default{}' block altogether in my yuqk
> fork(b). Not much in the way of doing it - except, there is this global,
> radiosity, importance option sitting in there. It seems out of place to
> me and I don't immediately see a reason for the set up in the internal
> code...
>
> Am I missing reason(s) it made sense for this importance option alone of
> the global radiosity settings to be in the default{} block?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill P.
>
> (a) - Or, as one of the effective ini / flag radiosity globals?
>
> (b) - There are too many side-effects to having 'major version defaults'
> which are not in fact fixed version defaults.

My guess :
importance is an object property, just like a pigment, texture or
finish. You set it globally in the default block to set the default
importance value to be used by most objects, and you set it per object
to a larger value for relatively small and bright objects.

The default block is used to set some default properties for objects
that don't have explicit properties.
Originally, it was used to set a default texture or texture component
such as pigment or finish. It have been extended to also be able to set
default interior, SSLT and radiosity properties of objects.

Post a reply to this message

On 2024-01-17 04:29 (-4), William F Pokorny wrote:
> Does anyone know why the global 'radiosity { importance <float> }'
> setting ended up in the default{} block rather than in 'global_settings{
> radiosity {} }' block along with the other global radiosity settings(a)?
>
> I'm likely going to dump the 'default{}' block altogether in my yuqk
> fork(b). Not much in the way of doing it - except, there is this global,
> radiosity, importance option sitting in there. It seems out of place to
> me and I don't immediately see a reason for the set up in the internal
> code...
>
> Am I missing reason(s) it made sense for this importance option alone of
> the global radiosity settings to be in the default{} block?

default{} is also used for textures, and I find sometimes it useful to
change the default texture as I move onto different parts of a scene.
That capability sounds useful for default radiosity importance as well,
and global_settings{} does not allow that flexibility.

Post a reply to this message

> importance is an object property, just like a pigment, texture or
> finish. You set it globally in the default block to set the default
> importance value to be used by most objects, and you set it per object
> to a larger value for relatively small and bright objects.

I think that's a pretty good guess as to how it came about. To my mind,
it is a global radiosity setting which changes how radiosity works
overall. Expect I'll move it to global_settings { radiosity{} } in yuqk.

> The default block is used to set some default properties for objects
> that don't have explicit properties.
> Originally, it was used to set a default texture or texture component
> such as pigment or finish.

Understand.

> It have been extended to also be able to set
> default interior, SSLT and radiosity properties of objects.

No. The only options currently available within default{} are:
texture{}, pigment{}, normal{}, finish{}, radiosity{ importance <0..1
float> } and camera{}.

There is an open github issue requesting that default{} support
interior{}, but it's never been implemented(a):

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/246
Port of FS319 - Add interior to #default directive #246

No SSLT and radiosity properties have been added to any official POV-Ray
releases of which I am aware. Maybe it's been done somewhere?

Bill P.

(a) One of the things a little clunky with v3.8 is all objects now have
an interior{} created. I think clipka did this to support the finish
level fresnel work which 'requires' a default ior of >1.0 (He tended to
use 1.5 and behavior is somewhat tuned for 1.5). However, today, the
interior default ior is 1.0 - and we are carrying around a bunch of
interior{}s we don't need.

Aside: Somewhat on the github request #246. It should be we can use:

default { finish { ior 1.5 } }

to default the automatically created interior's IORs. However, something
either wasn't maintained correctly over time for backward compatibility
or never implemented correctly. I suspect an order of operations problem
in the object post processing, but who knows. The code below works:

object {
   Iso99
   texture {
     pigment { rgbt <0,0.1,0,0.9> } finish { ior 1.5 } }
   }

object {
   Iso99
   texture {
     pigment { rgbt <0,0.1,0,0.9> } finish { ior 1.5 } }
     interior {}
   }

(yuqk is on a path to two IORs. One for interiors / refraction in the
interior{} block. One for surfaces and reflection related effects in the
finish{} block. Started the work a long while ago now... Someday!)

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message