POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block? : Re: Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block? Server Time
11 May 2024 01:09:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is radiosity importance set in the default{} block?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Jan 2024 06:40:26
Message: <65aa5faa@news.povray.org>
On 1/18/24 07:12, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Aside: the global_settings{} block can be used multiple times too, but
> not everything can being updated once it's set.
>
>    global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 radiosity{} }
>    global_settings { noise_generator 3 } // This OK
>    global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 } // This ignored. Warning issued.

Mentioning the bit aboce got me thinking again about global_settings{}s.
There are things with it too which should probably change in any v4.0.

- Maybe it should only be allowed a single use in any given scene for one.

- The global noise_generator settings is deceptive because it's mostly
not true. The setting affects some inbuilt patterns, but not much else.
And that global noise generator setting is problematic to any global /
library ecosystem of include-able stuff. Work up a good agate base
texture with the default noise_generator(a), hand it to a user who has
changed the noise generator in their global_settings{} and that texture
will behave differently...

- If not single use limited there are settings which should act like
assumed_gamma in not allowing settings to be changed, which today do
allow settings to be changed...

- In official POV-Ray releases where using subsurface that
global_settings block needs to be specified once at the top (closely
following #version). There's a related github issue still open.

   https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/122

- The irid settings should likely be pushed into the irid feature.

Anyhow. :-)

Bill P.