POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux Server Time
5 May 2024 08:04:03 EDT (-0400)
  qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: hugo giulietti
Subject: Re: qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux
Date: 31 Jul 2018 08:03:19
Message: <20180731090319.60adb1878e31282ab5044805@gmail.com>
I think that qtpovray is using the pre-configured default path

/usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include

Also, the error is indicating the reserved word "Macro" at column 2 requires a version
 >= 3.0 but version in use is 3.7

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:44:04 -0400

> On 07/31/2018 07:32 AM, clipka wrote:
> > Am 31.07.2018 um 12:03 schrieb hugo giulietti:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I installed qtpovray in my lubuntu 16.04 using the ppa for automatic updates.
> >>

> > That's seriously odd. Please verify that line 13 of `colors.inc` reads
> > `#version 3.5;`
> >
> > If that's not the case, for some obscure reason you have a far outdated
> > version of the file.
> >

> Also check the environment variable POVINI is not pointing at an old
> povray.ini file which might itself be pointing to old include libraries.
>
> 'echo $POVINI' in an xterm window to check.
>
> Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: hugo giulietti
Date: 31 Jul 2018 08:38:27
Message: <20180731093826.51d28b24aa8e7f13c7183a15@gmail.com>
On second test, using "cornell.pov" (it is not using "includes") the output says that
i am using
an old version but the actual version is 3.7.

The output result cornell.png is a pure black image.

Here is the output command pane:

chdir:  /home/hugo/source/povray
command:  +Icornell.pov
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.9606898.unofficial
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 Dick Balaska - qtpovray edition <dic### [at] buckosoftcom>
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

POV-Ray is based on DKBTrace 2.12 by David K. Buck & Aaron A. Collins
Copyright 1991-2018 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Primary Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.9606898.unoffic
ial Architects/Developers: (Alphabetically)
  Chris Cason         Thorsten Froehlich  Christoph Lipka

With Assistance From: (Alphabetically)
  Nicolas Calimet     Jerome Grimbert     James Holsenback    Christoph Hormann
  Nathan Kopp         Juha Nieminen       William F. Pokorny

Past Contributors: (Alphabetically)
  Steve Anger         Eric Barish         Dieter Bayer        David K. Buck
  Nicolas Calimet     Chris Cason         Aaron A. Collins    Chris Dailey
  Steve Demlow        Andreas Dilger      Alexander Enzmann   Dan Farmer
  Thorsten Froehlich  Mark Gordon         Jerome Grimbert     James Holsenback
  Christoph Hormann   Mike Hough          Chris Huff          Kari Kivisalo
  Nathan Kopp         Lutz Kretzschmar    Christoph Lipka     Jochen Lippert
  Pascal Massimino    Jim McElhiney       Douglas Muir        Juha Nieminen
  Ron Parker          William F. Pokorny  Bill Pulver         Eduard Schwan
  Wlodzimierz Skiba   Robert Skinner      Yvo Smellenbergh    Zsolt Szalavari
  Scott Taylor        Massimo Valentini   Timothy Wegner      Drew Wells
  Chris Young

Other contributors are listed in the documentation.

Support libraries used by POV-Ray:
  ZLib 1.2.8, Copyright 1995-2012 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
  LibPNG 1.2.54, Copyright 1998-2012 Glenn Randers-Pehrson
  LibJPEG 8, Copyright 1991-2016 Thomas G. Lane, Guido Vollbeding
  LibTIFF 4.0.6, Copyright 1988-1997 Sam Leffler, 1991-1997 SGI
  Boost 1.58, http://www.boost.org/
  OpenEXR 2.2.0 and IlmBase 2.2.0, Copyright (c) 2002-2011 Industrial Light &
 Magic.

Parser Options
  Input file: cornell.pov
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include
  Clock value:    0,000  (Animation off)
Image Output Options
  Image resolution.....800 by 600 (rows 1 to 600, columns 1 to 800).
  Output file..........cornell.png, 24 bpp PNG
  Dithering............Off
  Graphic display......On  (gamma: sRGB)
  Mosaic preview.......Off
  Continued trace......Off
Information Output Options
  All Streams to console..........On
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On
Parse Warning: The scene finished parsing with a language version set to v3.1 or
earlier. Full backward compatibility with scenes requiring support for bugs in POV-Ray
version v3.1 or earlier is not guaranteed. Please use POV-Ray v3.5 or earlier if your
scene depends on rendering defects caused by these bugs.
Parser Statistics
Finite Objects:           31
Infinite Objects:          0
Light Sources:             9
Total:                    40
Parser Time
  Parse Time:       0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.001 seconds)
              using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total
  Bounding Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.000 seconds)
              using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total
Render Options
  Quality:  9
  Bounding boxes.......On   Bounding threshold: 3
  Antialiasing.........Off
Render Statistics
Image Resolution 800 x 600
Pixels:           480000   Samples:               0   Smpls/Pxl: 0,00
Rays:             480000   Saved:                 0   Max Level: 1/5
Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
Box                               2031            2031    100,00
Triangle                        832055          443671     53,32
Bounding Box                   7826984         2598210     33,20
Render Time:
  Photon Time:      No photons
  Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
  Trace Time:       0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.827 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
POV-Ray finished

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:03:38 -0300
hugo giulietti <hug### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed qtpovray in my lubuntu 16.04 using the ppa for automatic updates.
> After my first test using "optics.pov" i got this parse error from the povray's
output:

> "Parse Error: Macros require #version 3.1 or later but #version 3.00 is set.
> at File: colors.inc Line: 167 Col: 2"
>
> Very rare message. The colors.inc file is standard; i have not touched in any way. I
don't know how to fix this because the #version directive was not modified at all.

From: Alain
Date: 31 Jul 2018 13:23:18
Message: <5b609b06@news.povray.org>
Le 18-07-31 à 08:38, hugo giulietti a écrit :
> On second test, using "cornell.pov" (it is not using "includes") the output says
that i am using
> an old version but the actual version is 3.7.
>
> The output result cornell.png is a pure black image.
>

> Render Time:
>    Photon Time:      No photons
>    Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
>    Trace Time:       0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.827 seconds)
>                using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
> POV-Ray finished

Very strange. cornel.pov IS a radiosity scene, but it say "No radiosity".

Make sure to add
#version 3.7;
or
#version version;

as the first line of your scene.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 31 Jul 2018 15:45:06
Message: <5b60bc42$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2018 um 14:03 schrieb hugo giulietti:
> I think that qtpovray is using the pre-configured default path
>
> /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include
>
> Also, the error is indicating the reserved word "Macro" at column 2 requires a
version  >= 3.0 but version in use is 3.7

Technically, the `#version` setting at the point in question is (or
should be) 3.5.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 31 Jul 2018 15:49:29
Message: <5b60bd49$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2018 um 13:49 schrieb hugo giulietti:

> It reads #version 3.5

Then the error shouldn't be happening. Are you sure that's indeed the
very file that is pulled in?

Please try adding the following line just below the `#version 3.5;` in
`colors.inc`:

    #debug concat("version in colors.inc is ",str(version,0,2),"\n")

Then try again rendering `optics.pov`. You should get a message reading
`version in colors.inc is 3.50`.

If the message doesn't appear, a different `colors.inc` is pulled in.

Post a reply to this message

From: hugo giulietti
Date: 31 Jul 2018 17:49:31
Message: <20180731184930.19e44cede92373510b900554@gmail.com>
Confirmed using /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include/colors.inc

The message does appear and say :

  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On
version in colors.inc is 3,00
Parse Error: Macros require #version 3.1 or later but #version 3.00 is set.
at File: colors.inc Line: 167 Col: 2
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 21:49:29 +0200

From: hugo giulietti
Date: 31 Jul 2018 18:04:39
Message: <20180731190438.ca5fd6d46e87734489f09940@gmail.com>
It is my fault, Alain. I did not mention that the scene file was refused to
 render because some radiosity's declarations; so i deleted all the "radios
ity{}" block and reder again just for confirm the "#version" issue

BUT if i re-render the scene file *with* "radiosity{}" block empty,  the th
ings does not changes in any way.

From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2018 04:33:08
Message: <5b617044$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2018 um 23:49 schrieb hugo giulietti:

> Confirmed using /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include/colors.inc
>
> The message does appear and say :
>
>   Statistics Stream to console....On
>   Warning Stream to console.......On
> version in colors.inc is 3,00

So you currently have

    #version 3.5;
    #debug concat("version in colors.inc is ",str(version,0,2),"\n")

in that `colors.inc`, right?

Then that's certainly a bug. Somehow the `#version` statement fails to
set the correct effective language version.

I also notice that the debug message says `3,00`, rather than `3.00`. Is
that a typo, or is that in the actual message?

In the latter case, that's another bug.

Oh, can you please try the following in an empty .pov file:

    #declare Foo = 3.14;
    #declare Bar = 314/100;
    #debug concat("Foo is ", str(Foo,0,2), "\n")
    #debug concat("Bar is ", str(Bar,0,2), "\n")

This /should/ output

    Foo is 3.14
    Bar is 3.14

but I have a hunch that it might output

    Foo is 3,00
    Bar is 3,14

in which case I guess I know what the problem may be.

Say, your name sounds italian, and in Italy they normally use commas as
decimal separators (just as they do here in Germany), right?

@dick: Are you actively changing the C/C++ locale in qtpovray, or do you
happen to know whether Qt does so by default? (buzzword `setlocale`)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2018 05:02:40
Message: <5b617730$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2018 um 10:33 schrieb clipka:

> @dick: Are you actively changing the C/C++ locale in qtpovray, or do you
> happen to know whether Qt does so by default? (buzzword `setlocale`)

Never mind that question. According to StackOverflow, QCoreApplication
(on Unix/Linux) does indeed invoke

    setlocale(LC_ALL,"")

which screws up things. The suggested solution is to invoke

    setlocale(LC_ALL,"C")

right after initialization of QCoreApplication or QApplication. See here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25661295/why-does-qcoreapplication-call-setlocalelc-all-by-default-on-unix-linux

Unfortunately there is no portable way to fix this in POV-Ray itself,
short of completely re-writing all code that currently depends on the
C/C++ locale setting. At the moment, there is probably a host of such
locale-dependent sections in the POV-Ray source code, only very few of
which have already been identified as such.

The C and C++ standards guarantee that at program startup the locale is
set to the "C" locale, and all locale-dependent code in POV-Ray relies
on this remaining unchanged.

Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Date: 1 Aug 2018 05:33:20
Message: <5b617e60$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/31/2018 06:03 AM, hugo giulietti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed qtpovray in my lubuntu 16.04 using the ppa for automatic updates.
> After my first test using "optics.pov" i got this parse error from the povray's
output:

> "Parse Error: Macros require #version 3.1 or later but #version 3.00 is set.
> at File: colors.inc Line: 167 Col: 2"
>
> Very rare message. The colors.inc file is standard; i have not touched in any way. I
don't know how to fix this because the #version directive was not modified at all.

Do you have other versions of POV-Ray installed?

Where did you get optics.pov from?

I assume you are trying optics.pov from
file:///usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/scenes/advanced/optics.pov

I assume you installed qtpovray-includes and qtpovray-extras
since you have colors.inc and optics.pov

What happens if you try "Basic scene 01 - Checkered plane" from the
insert menu?

I just tried it on two machines and it was fine.
ubuntu 16.04, which is my primary workstation
and
mint 18.3 which is a clean "install from the ppa" machine (no compiling,
no multiple working versions)

cornell.pov worked for me too.
file:///usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/scenes/radiosity/cornell.pov

What cpu are you using?

You don't have the "Dynamic optimizations:" in the banner. i.e.

Support libraries used by POV-Ray:
  ZLib 1.2.8, Copyright 1995-2012 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
  LibPNG 1.2.54, Copyright 1998-2012 Glenn Randers-Pehrson
  LibJPEG 8, Copyright 1991-2016 Thomas G. Lane, Guido Vollbeding
  LibTIFF 4.0.6, Copyright 1988-1997 Sam Leffler, 1991-1997 SGI
  Boost 1.58, http://www.boost.org/
  OpenEXR 2.2.0 and IlmBase 2.2.0, Copyright (c) 2002-2011 Industrial
Light &
 Magic.

Dynamic optimizations:
  CPU detected: Intel,SSE2,AVX,AVX2,FMA3
  Noise generator: avx2fma3-intel (hand-optimized by Intel)

Parser Options
  Input file: cornell.pov
  Remove bounds........On
  Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
    /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/include
  Clock value:    0.000  (Animation off)

This is a really strange problem. It's like the parser is broken.
Like clipka said, in your colors.inc problem, the version is set at line
#13, yet is reporting something different at line #167.  This makes no
sense (so far).
https://github.com/dickbalaska/qtpovray/blob/qtpovray/distribution/include/colors.inc

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>