POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 19:02:12 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking)
Date: 28 Apr 2018 06:25:01
Message: <web.5ae44b32c48ed6a61b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
> I am a famous re-inventor of wheels if not hopeless
> wanderer through a dark code wood. Still, I prevail in the end! ;-)

Haha, I too reinvent repeatedly. Sometimes I'm *certain* I've done something
before, but just can't remember which .pov file it was in or what it was called.
I've taken to ensuring all new tricks go into documented .inc files in my
include tree, that way I have somewhere to peruse when I'm half-remembering
something. At least once, I've used google on these forums because of something
I posted years ago :)

As to managing large POV-Ray projects - taking a modular approach is something I
favour. Parametrise everything, move blocks into macros, or declarations. If you
start getting too many nested blocks, declaring the inner workings to keep the
containers simple helps. Parsing speed might suffer in some cases, but you can
always optimise later if necessary.

When all else fails, as others have suggested, use the #debug stream to spot
where things start to go wrong. Sometimes I really miss a debugger (I guess one
could always debug the parsing code to see what the input file is doing!).

Bill

Post a reply to this message