POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) : Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) Server Time
8 May 2024 07:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking)
From: clipka
Date: 29 Apr 2018 04:41:50
Message: <5ae5854e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2018 um 03:18 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Same here - a debugger is really needed A LOT, that's how I feel. After
> all, POV-Ray's language is to the widest part a programming language
> (and yes, I LOVE that language!).
>
> Line-By-Line
> Up-To-LineNumber

While I concede it's not as luxurious, we already have tools that can
provide you with that information:

    #debug "I'm here!\n"

and

    #error "Reached that line.\n"

You can even get the same information a call stack could give you:

    #debug "Entering macro FOOBAR\n"
    #debug "Leaving macro FOOBAR\n"

The /true/ benefit of IDEs is that they allow you to interactively
inspect (and often even modify) the current state of variables. Which
requires an interface to access that information at run-time. Which
requires programming effort. Which requires manpower. Of which
unfortunately we don't have as much as we'd like.

Rest assured however that your suggestion has been noted.