POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Survey: Gamma Handling Server Time
5 May 2024 11:07:41 EDT (-0400)
  Survey: Gamma Handling (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Survey: Gamma Handling
Date: 18 Oct 2016 23:46:44
Message: <5806eca4$1@news.povray.org>
> [...]
> ( ) I get colour values from elsewhere in that format.
> ( ) I think it is the recommended format.
> ( ) Other: [___]
>

> What other gamma-related features do you know?
> ( ) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "gamma" setting for input images
> ( ) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
> ( ) Other: [___]
>
> Which of them do you make frequent use of?
> ( ) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "gamma" setting for input images
> ( ) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
> ( ) Other: [___]
>
> Why are you using those other features?
> ( ) I like to toy around with them.
> ( ) I like the flexibility they provide.
> ( ) I need them to handle special cases.
> ( ) They don't default to the settings I typically want.
> ( ) Other: [___]
>

> How do you feel in general about gamma handling in POV-Ray 3.7?
> ( ) I really like it.
> (X) I think it's mostly ok.
> ( ) I think it's so-so.
> ( ) I think it's mostly broken.
> ( ) I really detest it.
> ( ) Dunno - I'm not using POV-Ray 3.7.
>
> How well do you get along with gamma handling in POV-Ray 3.7?
> (X) It works like a charm for me.
> ( ) It has its quirks, but I can live with them.
> ( ) I'm still learning to deal with its quirks.
> ( ) Its quirks still keep getting in my way.
> ( ) It just doesn't work for me at all.
> ( ) Dunno - I'm not using POV-Ray 3.7.
>

> What's your opinion on the claim that "assumed_gamma 1.0" gives more
> realistic render results than other settings?
> ( ) Yes, "assumed_gamma 1.0" is more realistic.
> ( ) No, "assumed_gamma" has no effect on realism.
> ( ) No, "assumed_gamma 1.0" is actually less realistic.
> ( ) Dunno - I haven't heard that claim before.
> (X) Dunno - I haven't made up my mind yet.
> ( ) Dunno - I don't really care.
>
> How did you come to that opinion?
> ( ) People say so, and that's good enough for me.
> ( ) The docs imply it, and that's good enough for me.
> ( ) That's what sounds most plausible to me.
> (X) My own research led me to that conclusion.
> ( ) It can be proven beyond doubt.
> ( ) Dunno - I don't have a clear opinion yet.
>

> How do you feel about "assumed_gamma 1.0" in POV-Ray 3.7, compared to
> the same setting 3.6?
> ( ) It is an overall improvement.
> ( ) It seems to work just the same.
> ( ) The following behaviour came as a negative surprise to me: [___]
> (X) Dunno - I don't use it.
>
> How do you feel about "assumed_gamma 2.2" (or any non-1.0 setting) in
> POV-Ray 3.7, compared to the same setting 3.6?
> ( ) It is an overall improvement.
> ( ) It seems to work just the same.
> ( ) The following behaviour came as a negative surprise to me: [___]
> (X) Dunno - I don't use it.
>

> What other feedback would you like to give about the gamma handling in

dik

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 20 Oct 2016 10:32:00
Message: <5808d560$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016-10-16 05:13 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Do you care about gamma handling?
> (X) Enough to be willing to help you with this survey.

> What version of POV-Ray are you typically using?
> (X) POV-Ray 3.7 (or a derivative, e.g. UberPOV, HG-Povray)
>
> What "assumed_gamma" setting are you typically using?
> (X) 1
>
> Why are you using that setting?
> (X) I think it gives the most accurate results.
>
> What keyword do you typically use to specify colours?
> (X) "rgb"

I do occasionally use "srgb," though.

> Why are you using that keyword?
> (X) I find it easiest to work with.
>
> What other gamma-related features do you know?
> (X) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "gamma" setting for input images
> (X) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
>
> Which of them do you make frequent use of?
> (*) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> (*) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "gamma" setting for input images
> (*) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps

* Not really frequent.

"gamma" setting for input images is something I dearly wished for in
POV-Ray 3.6, but the new image_map default in POV-Ray 3.7 ironically
obviates the need!  (I searched all my scene files, and not once have I
ever used it.)  It still seems like a good idea to have this feature
available, though.