POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Survey: Gamma Handling : Re: Survey: Gamma Handling Server Time
25 May 2024 17:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey: Gamma Handling
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 20 Oct 2016 10:32:00
Message: <5808d560$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016-10-16 05:13 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Do you care about gamma handling?
> (X) Enough to be willing to help you with this survey.

> What version of POV-Ray are you typically using?
> (X) POV-Ray 3.7 (or a derivative, e.g. UberPOV, HG-Povray)
>
> What "assumed_gamma" setting are you typically using?
> (X) 1
>
> Why are you using that setting?
> (X) I think it gives the most accurate results.
>
> What keyword do you typically use to specify colours?
> (X) "rgb"

I do occasionally use "srgb," though.

> Why are you using that keyword?
> (X) I find it easiest to work with.
>
> What other gamma-related features do you know?
> (X) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> (X) "gamma" setting for input images
> (X) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
>
> Which of them do you make frequent use of?
> (*) "File_Gamma" INI setting
> (*) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
> ( ) "gamma" setting for input images
> (*) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps

* Not really frequent.

"gamma" setting for input images is something I dearly wished for in
POV-Ray 3.6, but the new image_map default in POV-Ray 3.7 ironically
obviates the need!  (I searched all my scene files, and not once have I
ever used it.)  It still seems like a good idea to have this feature
available, though.