POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: A Test Render Server Time
16 May 2024 19:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Request: A Test Render (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: Ger
Subject: Re: Request: A Test Render
Date: 29 Jan 2016 03:44:11
Message: <56ab265b@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am asking you for a test render of my scene. On my computer, this
> scene takes forever, and I want to find out, how fast it renders on your
> computer.
>
> If you're interested to assist me with this little favor, please let me
> know, and I will give you then all scene files. It is not a complete
> scene, but just a part of it:
> +sc0.248406 +sr0.444099 +ec0.441055 +er0.635475
>
> Please let me then know the time this part takes on your system. Thanks.

Hi, I have your render going on my machine and it's hanging at 2% for a while
now. It had me stumped for a bit since your scene has 133K objects and 14
light sources which shouldn't be such a problem. I've had scenes with 5M
objects render in a matter of minutes so I went looking for the culprit in
your code and I think I found it. You have a large number of difference
declarations in the code. A difference declaration is an absolute bitch when
it comes to rendering. I will go a long way to union-ing smaller objects to
avoid having to use a difference declaration. I suspect that you can save a
lot of render time if you rewrite your code avoiding the difference
declaration.
Btw, I'm running your code on a 8-core AMD at 4.2 Ghz and 16 GB mem. Not the
slowest in the bunch
--

Ger

Post a reply to this message