POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lego renders using MODO Server Time
19 May 2024 09:33:42 EDT (-0400)
  Lego renders using MODO (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Reuben Pearse
Subject: Lego renders using MODO
Date: 24 Feb 2015 14:14:28
Message: <54eccd94$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I recently came across this post on the LDraw forums:
http://forums.ldraw.org/read.php?20,12928

The Lego renders here are pretty awesome. I'm always looking for ways to
acheive better Lego renders in POV-Ray, so would appreciate any advice/code
snippets on how to achieve more realistic renders. Maybe there is some
general "rendering plastic materials" type stuff that I could benefit from?

I think my Lego models always look a bit too shiny:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C51a7b9c2%40news.povray.org%3E/lego_minifigures_3d.png

Thanks in advance.

Reuben
=====================================
Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego
=====================================

Post a reply to this message

"Reuben Pearse" <reu### [at] pearsecouk> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently came across this post on the LDraw forums:
> http://forums.ldraw.org/read.php?20,12928
>
> The Lego renders here are pretty awesome. I'm always looking for ways to
> acheive better Lego renders in POV-Ray, so would appreciate any advice/code
> snippets on how to achieve more realistic renders. Maybe there is some
> general "rendering plastic materials" type stuff that I could benefit from?
>
> I think my Lego models always look a bit too shiny:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C51a7b9c2%40news.povray.org%3E/lego_minifigures_3d.png

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Reuben
> =====================================
> Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
> http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego
> =====================================

Hi Reuben,

yes the renderings at the LDraw forum looks really nice. I'm not sure, but I
think first subsurface scattering is in use there to a small amount and second
blurred reflection. The first is implemented in POV 3.7 now, the latter can be
simulated in POV with averaged textures or parametrized with the unofficial
version UberPOV. May be you look at this new features. Unfortunatelly I'm not an
expert at this issues to give further guidance. I can only give you this poor
hints.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

Am 24.02.2015 um 21:42 schrieb MichaelJF:
> "Reuben Pearse" <reu### [at] pearsecouk> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I recently came across this post on the LDraw forums:
>> http://forums.ldraw.org/read.php?20,12928
>>
>> The Lego renders here are pretty awesome. I'm always looking for ways to
>> acheive better Lego renders in POV-Ray, so would appreciate any advice/code
>> snippets on how to achieve more realistic renders. Maybe there is some
>> general "rendering plastic materials" type stuff that I could benefit from?
>>
>> I think my Lego models always look a bit too shiny:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C51a7b9c2%40news.povray.org%3E/lego_minifigures_3d.png
> yes the renderings at the LDraw forum looks really nice. I'm not sure, but I
> think first subsurface scattering is in use there to a small amount and second
> blurred reflection. The first is implemented in POV 3.7 now, the latter can be
> simulated in POV with averaged textures or parametrized with the unofficial
> version UberPOV. May be you look at this new features. Unfortunatelly I'm not an
> expert at this issues to give further guidance. I can only give you this poor
> hints.

Those hints are fare from poor - that's exactly what I think I see in
the MODO renders, too (and I guess I have a keen eye for it): Subsurface
scattering and blurred reflections.

Also, as far as specular highlights are concerned, a common
misconception is that "specular 1.0" would correspond to a totally
reflective surface - it does not, except for the hypothetical case of
"roghtness 0.0"; with the traditional "specular FLOAT" parameterization,
any increase in roughness also increases the total amount of reflected
light. For a physically more straightforward parameterization, use the
new "specular albedo FLOAT" syntax, where "specular albedo 1.0" indeed
corresponds to a totally reflective surface, regardless of the
roughness. (Same goes for "phong FLOAT" vs. "phong albedo FLOAT" with
respect to phong_size, and "diffuse FLOAT" vs. "diffuse albedo FLOAT"
with respect to brilliance.)

Another thing that can really add to the credibility of a material is
the simulation of fresnelian effects, not only for specular reflection
(which gets brighter at shallow angles) but also for highlights (which
should do the same) and diffuse reflection (which should get less bright
at shallow angles). POV-Ray 3.7.0 only supports fresnelian effects for
specular reflection (via the "fresnel on" statement in the reflection
block), but not on highlights, and for diffuse reflections it only
supports them when using subsurface scattering (in which case they
actually can't be turned off). POV-Ray 3.7.1 adds full support for the
latter two (by specifying "fresnel on" directly in the finish block as
well; note that "fresnel on" in the reflection block is still required
as well); UberPOV 1.37.1.X supports this new syntax as well.

Ideally, you would be using UberPOV 1.37.1.X with the following finish
settings:

     finish {
       diffuse albedo D brilliance B
       specular albedo S roughness R
       phong off
       fresnel on
       reflection { S roughness R fresnel on }
       conserve_energy
       subsurface { ... } // (optional)
     }

where D+S < 1. (Don't forget to specify an interior block with ior to
all your materials, even the opaque ones. If you don't know the
refractive index of a material, 1.5 is a good bet.)

When using POV-Ray 3.7.1, for sufficiently shiny materials an acceptable
approximation is to leave out the "roughness R" statement in the
reflection block:

     finish {
       diffuse albedo D brilliance B
       specular albedo S roughness R
       phong off
       fresnel on
       reflection { S fresnel on }
       conserve_energy
       subsurface { ... } // (optional)
     }

For sufficiently dull materials, you can turn off reflections entirely:

     finish {
       diffuse albedo D brilliance B
       specular albedo S roughness R
       phong off
       fresnel on
       reflection { 0.0 fresnel on }
       conserve_energy
       subsurface { ... } // (optional)
     }

(Theoretically you would need to compensate by fudging D up a bit for
the sake of radiosity but not for classic diffuse, but that's something
POV-Ray doesn't support at present.)

For materials in between, there is no really good solution in official
POV-Ray at present.

When using POV-Ray 3.7.0, you should fudge up the specular highlights
and (unless you're using subsurface scattering) fudge down the diffuse
reflection, to compensate for the fact that they don't honor fresnelian
effects:

     finish {
       diffuse albedo D*(1-F) brilliance B
       specular albedo S*F roughness R
       phong off
       reflection { S fresnel on }
       conserve_energy
     }

or:

     finish {
       diffuse albedo D brilliance B
       specular albedo S*F roughness R
       phong off
       reflection { S fresnel on }
       conserve_energy
       subsurface { ... } // (mandatory)
     }

where F is some fudge factor very roughly around 2.0.

High-quality diffuse inter-reflections are of high importance for
creadibility as well. If you're using POV-Ray, this means using
high-quality radiosity settings; with UberPOV, I'd recommend using
"no_cache" in the readiosity block instead.

Finally, some of the MODO renders also use focal blur, which can also
add to credibility, provided you don't overdo it. Ideally, the aperture
value for a POV-Ray focal blur camera should correspond to somewhere
about 1mm to at most 1cm in scene units.

Post a reply to this message