POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh2 question Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  mesh2 question (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: mesh2 question
Date: 15 Feb 2014 11:53:51
Message: <52ff9b9f$1@news.povray.org>
Trying to create a mesh for use with meshcam and I'm struggling a bit
because when I use uv_mapping with the povray procedural texture it
looks wrong ... comment it out and it's all good. I'm thinking something
isn't right with the uv_vectors portion. The mesh was created in
blender, exported as .obj because .3ds didn't pick up the uv map ...
then through poseray to pov mesh2 format.

I understand what's going on with the vertex and normal sections, can
someone add some clarity to the uv section? As a guess, since there are
only two faces, the remaining sections are talking about those.

mesh2 {
   vertex_vectors { 4,
     <9.5,0,9.5>,
     <-9.5,0,9.5>,
     <-9.5,0,-9.5>,
     <9.5,0,-9.5>
     }
   normal_vectors { 4,
     <0,1,0>,
     <0,1,0>,
     <0,1,0>,
     <0,1,0>
     }
   uv_vectors { 4,
     <0,0>,
     <1,0>,
     <1,1>,
     <0,1>
     }
   face_indices { 2,
     <0,1,2>,
     <0,2,3>
     }
   uv_indices { 2,
     <0,1,2>,
     <0,2,3>
     }
   normal_indices { 2,
     <0,1,2>,
     <0,2,3>
     }
   inside_vector <0,0,1>
   }

Post a reply to this message

On 02/15/2014 11:53 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> Trying to create a mesh for use with meshcam and I'm struggling a bit
> because when I use uv_mapping with the povray procedural texture it
> looks wrong ... comment it out and it's all good. I'm thinking something
> isn't right with the uv_vectors portion. The mesh was created in
> blender, exported as .obj because .3ds didn't pick up the uv map ...
> then through poseray to pov mesh2 format.
>
> I understand what's going on with the vertex and normal sections, can
> someone add some clarity to the uv section? As a guess, since there are
> only two faces, the remaining sections are talking about those.

Well OK ... I'm good with the uv_vectors section. The values are an
index from 0 to 1 ... lol found that in the docs ;-)

According to the docs on the indices section ... "If the number of
normals equals the number of vertices then the normal_indices section is
optional and the indexes from the face_indices section are used instead.
Likewise for the uv_indices section." ... So it seems that /required/
section is face_indices. The only hint in docs about the values is that
hey are zero based .... but what about the two other values, not a clue
/yet/!